Stuttering Video MP4 Export from Resolve 16

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MRomine

Stuttering Video MP4 Export from Resolve 16

PostMon May 27, 2019 2:34 pm

I have a MP4 video that was created in Resolve 16 that is 61 seconds in length. The video is made up of 4 short clips and for or five still jpg files. Two of the clips are H.265 and two are H.264 all captured on a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. They have been exported out of Resolve to 1920x1080HD @ 24 FPS MP4 H.264. One of those H.265 clips stutters a little when the MP4 video is played back in Apple Quick Time. I can not tell for sure if the other H.265 is doing the same due to the fact that it is a hyperlaspe clip. It also appears to be stuttering when being played in the right hand 'Edit' widow of Resolve. The original clip when played by it's self in Quick Times nice and even with no stuttering.

Any suggestions on where I can look to clear this up?

Thanks

MRomine

Re: Stuttering Video MP4 Export from Resolve 16

PostMon May 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Does it matter if some of the video clips are 24 FPS and others are 30 FPS? I have tried exporting to both 24 and 30 FPS with H.264 and that does not seem to make any difference.

MRomine

PostMon May 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Let me know if you need more info be able to answer.

RCModelReviews

PostMon May 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Yes, frame-rate does matter.

if your timeline frame-rate differs from the source material then Resolve will have to either drop/duplicate frames, create blended frames or interpolate using optical flow. The choice as to which of these methods is used can be changed via the project settings or on a clip-by-clip basis in the inspector window for the video.

If you're going from 30FPS to 24 or vice-versa and you're using "nearest" (which produces dropped/duplicated frames) then you will certainly notice jerking/stuttering when doing things like slow pans. Try the optical flow method -- sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes not so much -- that depends very much on the content of the scene being retimed.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

MRomine

PostMon May 27, 2019 8:14 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, frame-rate does matter.

if your timeline frame-rate differs from the source material then Resolve will have to either drop/duplicate frames, create blended frames or interpolate using optical flow. The choice as to which of these methods is used can be changed via the project settings or on a clip-by-clip basis in the inspector window for the video.

If you're going from 30FPS to 24 or vice-versa and you're using "nearest" (which produces dropped/duplicated frames) then you will certainly notice jerking/stuttering when doing things like slow pans. Try the optical flow method -- sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes not so much -- that depends very much on the content of the scene being retimed.

Thank you so much for your efforts to try and help.

Another question. Does the export frame rate matter? i have an option for either 24 or 30.

MRomine

PostMon May 27, 2019 8:25 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:If you're going from 30FPS to 24 or vice-versa and you're using "nearest" (which produces dropped/duplicated frames) then you will certainly notice jerking/stuttering when doing things like slow pans. Try the optical flow method -- sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes not so much -- that depends very much on the content of the scene being retimed.

'Optical Flow' made all the difference in the world.

Thanks again!

India_DP

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 10:15 am

My timeline is at 59.94 my footage is UHD 59.94 on resolve 16 iMac i5 RAM 40 GB with Radeon 580X Graphics card. Every time I try to output individual clips they all have a jerk in the first three seconds of every clip. This is a nightmare can anyone help?
All clips, resolution and frame rate settings are consistent - yet this pronounced jerk is there

Return to DaVinci Resolve