Trackball Mice (particularly SPACEBALL 5000) - do they work?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

FlyingZayin

Trackball Mice (particularly SPACEBALL 5000) - do they work?

PostFri May 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello people,
I am getting used to utilizing an Xbox360 instead of a keyboard, but I'd also like to replace the mouse with a trackball.
I heard there is no problem with Kensington trackballs, but a friend of mine has a 3dConnexions SPACEBALL 5000 in mint condition that I would happily start using with DVR.
However my friend lives on another continent and I don't want to ask him to mail me the device just to try and find that it can't be used.
Does anyone have experience with using 3dConnexions devices for editing in DVR?

Also, how do you find editing with a trackball mice compared to a "regular" one? I feel like if the Spaceball happens to be a no go I will buy either a Kensington 4-buttons+wheel, or an ELECOM M-XT3DRBK trackball mouse. Which would be better?

producerguy

Re: Trackball Mice (particularly SPACEBALL 5000) - do they w

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm

I've been using a Logitech Marble Mouse for over a decade. I can't stand traditional mice and find that the rolling-ball offers far more control and much better ergonomics than sweeping a mouse around the desk. Horrible.

Although I've often considered specialized controllers like a jog-wheel (and don't even think of dropping $1K on the BlackMagic Davinci keyboard - what a rip off) my setup in includes a traditional full-sized keyboard, a Apple Trackpad and the Marble Mouse. That trio of controls gives me tons of freedom to navigate everything including Finder windows MUCH faster.

Go with whatever trackball you prefer and enjoy the greater freedom you'll give your hand.

FlyingZayin

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 3:51 am

producerguy wrote: I've often considered specialized controllers like a jog-wheel

That's why I'm looking at that particular model of Kensington! Because it sports a jog wheel around the ball.
Thanks! I know now that I'm on a right track.

Harold Tomlinson

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 6:17 am

[quote="Australian Image"]The only thing it won't do (that I've found so far) is it can't zoom in the edit panel as it doesn't have a scroll wheel that pushes down.[/quote]

In the edit window, move the mouse pointer over the video and you can zoom it in our out with the scroll wheel on the Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball. Some other zoomable things can be zoomed with the scroll wheel by putting the mouse over the item. . For lists like the clips and edits, put the mouse over them and scroll with the scroll wheel.

Unfortunately it does not seem to move the sound levels on the equalizer or scrub through the timeline and it does not let you scroll values like the position or size of a power window.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Cary Knoop

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 6:21 am

Australian Image wrote:I've investigated the 3dConnexion control, but if you're a Windows user, apparently the software that allowed linking to video editing programs has been removed for some reason, so it won't work with Resolve.

Yes, that product is not an universal interface by any standards, it only works with certain programs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve