rotating video and the exported file.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eliitedisowned

rotating video and the exported file.

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 5:28 am

Hi, i have only just started using davinci resolve and over the weekend i took some slowmo footage of some friends at a weightlifting comp. i shot it in portrait so when looked at it on the computer it was rotated for some reason. I used davinci to rotate it back and also try to colour grade it slightly but when i export it the video is not filling the frame.

how can i change the export so the video fills the entire frame and it doesnt come out with a black area around it.

Thanks
Attachments
after.JPG
after
after.JPG (106.38 KiB) Viewed 973 times
before.JPG
before
before.JPG (161.98 KiB) Viewed 973 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: rotating video and the exported file.

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 am

You will loose all the to or bottom or both but you have to zoom to correct the production error.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Eliitedisowned

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 8:42 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You will loose all the to or bottom or both but you have to zoom to correct the production error.

do you know how i can crop it for export so it only shows up the video with no black space around it?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 am

You have to zoom
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 am

Eliitedisowned wrote:how can i change the export so the video fills the entire frame and it doesnt come out with a black area around it.

Unless you play it on a phone (or another screen with the same vertical aspect ratio as a phone), you'll always have black area around the active video.

This is a good reason not to shoot in "Vertical Video": if you hold the phone sideways, you'll have a better chance of coming close to the 16x9 aspect ratio of modern TV sets. Otherwise... you gotta blow it up (zoom it in).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve