How to get "Crop" to retain 16:9 and fill the screen?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Whiteway

How to get "Crop" to retain 16:9 and fill the screen?

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi.

Wondering if I'm missing something. When I use the cropping tool I've not been able to find a way to maintain the 16:9 ratio. Also, if I crop I've not been able to find a way to make that cropped section fill the screen - i.e. there will always be black left on the screen in the cropped-out areas.

I've actually found myself using Dynamic Zoom to crop instead - selecting the crop I want and setting both red and green squares to it. Using Dynamic Zoom in this way allows me to retain the 16:9 ratio, and whatever area I crop then automatically fills the whole screen.

Somehow I think there must be some way to do the same with the Crop feature. Can anyone tell me if there is and what steps it takes to do that?

Thanks.

John
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Start up Disk MAC HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Storage MAC 2.12TB Fusion
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Cary Knoop

Re: How to get "Crop" to retain 16:9 and fill the screen?

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 2:22 pm

That is as it is supposed to work, crop simply crops without zoom.

It seems to me that what you are looking for is zoom.

John Whiteway

Re: How to get "Crop" to retain 16:9 and fill the screen?

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi.

Thanks. I see what you're saying. I see how I could use "Transform/Zoom and Position" to get the framing I want. Must admit though that using Dynamic Zoom, as I described, seems to have some advantages. Using, and easily moving, the red and green boxes to set the zoomed area, while still seeing the rest of the shot compostion helps me to decide exactly what zoom and position I want. Somehow using Zoom/Position seems a bit laboured and clautrophobic compared to that, but I see now how one could go that route.
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Start up Disk MAC HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Storage MAC 2.12TB Fusion
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Return to DaVinci Resolve