Can we run multiple instances of Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Harold Tomlinson

Can we run multiple instances of Resolve?

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 pm

I recently discovered that I can (on my Mac) start an application using 'open' and I can start multiple instances using 'open --new'. It works for Resolve in the sense that I do get two instances starting up. I have not tried going any further yet because I don't want to either be in breach of the EULA or to corrupt my database.

Has anyone else done this? I am only thinking of doing this to get around the fact that Resolve does not background some things like the generation of optimized media or the delivery of a project. I want to generate optimized media and, rather than waiting, go ahead and start editing. When I want to deliver a version for review of a final version, I would like to be able to continue working on something else or continue with more changes to the same project.

Thoughts? Will this corrupt the local database? Should it work with Postgresql if I set the projects to shared? Is it a violation of the EULA?
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

vegasprouser

Re: Can we run multiple instances of Resolve?

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 pm

So, is this possible? Does anyone know? That would be perfect to be able to convert files while working at a project.

Mike Warren

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 8:07 pm

Since there has been no official answer yet I'll post my 2 cents. I very much doubt this would work properly.

Resolve is very hardware intensive and can crash at the slightest provocation. There will very likely be hardware crashes.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

wfolta

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 11:37 pm

I think database -- or other file like Undo history, preferences, etc -- corruption is highly likely.

It's remotely possible that if you run a Postgres server and then login as two different users, using Fast Switching between them, you might be able to set up the second user as a "remote" render. The Postgres server would help avoid DB corruption, and running the second copy as a second user could help avoid other files being corrupted. Not sure about EULA, but I think I read that a remote renderer can even be the free version.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am

This seems like a very big risk, potentially costing a lot more time to fix than generating OM if things go really wrong.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve