are there any plans for 4K screen resolution support?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danas_Anis

are there any plans for 4K screen resolution support?

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 am

Hello,

It is now considerably a modern era times when 4K screen resolution is becoming quite a standard. I am wondering are there any plans to support 4k and above screens for the interface sometime? For 2 years I have to downscale my screen resolution so that I could see the buttons in Davinci Resolve. I think now it is a good time to introduce some adaptation features to hi dpi screens in Resolve. From tools that I use it is basically only Davinci Resolve that doesn;t have any interface scaling options for smaller dimension 4k screens.
Kind regards,

Danas

Harold Tomlinson

Re: are there any plans for 4K screen resolution support?

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Can you provide a screen capture? I have a 4k and a 5k screen and I did not know I was not seeing buttons. Can you tell me or show me what I am missing?
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 1:55 pm

The point of higher screen resolutions has always been more screen real estate.

Display Scaling should always be set to 100%. If things are too small to see, then you need a larger monitor.

At UHD and 4K resolutions, I recommend nothing less than 32".
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Harold Tomlinson

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm

I think I misunderstood the original post. I thought it meant that some things were not showing and not supported. I think now that it was just about the size of the icons and text. Yes. It would be nice if we could change the size of the text and buttons.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Works fine for me on 5K 27“.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Danas_Anis

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm

I can't argue with the reason to give more space for users and I believe on big screens it works fantastically well! As a matter of fact my friend has a huge 4k monitor and indeed it makes use of it.
However when the talk comes about portable workstation class laptops. like 15 inch laptops, even 17 inch would benefit from having option to set up some scaling for UI.

many applications does that.
For example in Lightworks I can adjust things to meet my needs, I can make icons and tool texts appear huge or neatly find a good setup to make both convenience to click around while still have plenty of space and use the advantages of Hi DPI displays.
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (588.18 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Kind regards,

Danas

Coryndotio

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm

While being able to scale the UI would be pretty cool, I actually think Resolve should be commended for how well it looks in 4K. Sure, things are somewhat small, but they aren't broken or unreadable, so on a large display like mine (27") it looks perfect.

If a UI scaling feature was introduced I guess I would scale it up by maybe 5-10%, but no more than that.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-06-15 00-05-15.png
Screenshot from 2019-06-15 00-05-15.png (751.29 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Danas_Anis

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 10:16 am

Coryndotio wrote:While being able to scale the UI would be pretty cool, I actually think Resolve should be commended for how well it looks in 4K. Sure, things are somewhat small, but they aren't broken or unreadable, so on a large display like mine (27") it looks perfect.

If a UI scaling feature was introduced I guess I would scale it up by maybe 5-10%, but no more than that.

I believe it looks perfect on a 27" 4k screen. on my dell precision m5520 4k screen I have to set it's resolution to 2880x1620 instead of 4k to get a decent UI for resolve,

A good reason for UI scaling feature could be editors on the go. Davinci Rresolve is now a very popular video NLE and it's features set makes it perfect for scenarios like edits on the fly like big events when you have to show a video of the event at the evening as a grand finale. Usually people work on their edits using portable workstations. Which in most cases are 15" and 17"
Kind regards,

Danas

SandroSchreiber

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Coryndotio wrote:While being able to scale the UI would be pretty cool, I actually think Resolve should be commended for how well it looks in 4K. Sure, things are somewhat small, but they aren't broken or unreadable, so on a large display like mine (27") it looks perfect.

You're on a mac, aren't you? As far as I know the problem only exists under Windows. That's why it works fine for Uli too.
The problem I am experiencing is not that the UI is too small, for me it's way too big.
I use a 32" UHD Monitor and 150% Windows scaling (recommended). Otherwise my Windows Explorer and everything else would be too small. The problem is that resolve isn't able to scale to 125%, 150% or 175%. It scales to 200% when any Windows scaling is in place.
It's been discussed in many many other threads since a few years now and many Windows users have these problems. The answer can't be "just set your scaling to 100%" when every other software released in the last three years looks perfectly fine...
Maybe I'm still missing something. If so, I would still be very thankful for every hint.

Cheers
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

eikonoklastes

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The point of higher screen resolutions has always been more screen real estate.
No, it hasn't. It has always been, as the label would suggest, to provide higher resolution imagery, which means sharper text, less aliased graphics. Extra room is a byproduct of software interfaces not being ready for high DPI displays, and thus scaling down when they shouldn't.

Jim Simon wrote:Display Scaling should always be set to 100%. If things are too small to see, then you need a larger monitor.
No, it shouldn't, and you don't need a larger monitor. I'm not sure why you would think this, but the whole point of having display scaling is so that the software can adapt to the hardware, as it should be. Pretty much every other professional application can do this, and Resolve should too, it's that simple.

Jim Simon wrote:At UHD and 4K resolutions, I recommend nothing less than 32".
Again, I'm not sure what you're basing this recommendation on. I have used 28" UHD monitors without any issue in any app except Resolve. They have a higher PPI and you get a more crisp interface and text and graphics (which, to reiterate, is the exact point of having a higher resolution display).

Anton Meleshkevich

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm

My UI display is UHD. Windows system scale set to 125%. I'd like to set it to 150% but if I do this, Resolve UI scales 200%. So I have to use 125% instead.

It would be awesome to have a separate control for interface fonts scaling and to have the ability to manually drag interface elements frames to adjust it's zooming manually.

I'm ok with small UI elements like curves and I don't want them to be bigger. But I'd definitively like to be able to set larger UI fonts.

SandroSchreiber

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm

*push*

It would be great to know if there were any plans to address this.

Collection of threads:
viewtopic.php?t=83845
viewtopic.php?t=73594
viewtopic.php?t=95123
viewtopic.php?t=50161

Thank you!
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve