Issues with GPU

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ericktreetops

Issues with GPU

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 am

Hi,
this is my first attempt at using Davinci Resolve and i downloaded it a few days ago. I have a Xiamo 4k+ action Camera which i used to shoot video during last months trip to Vietnam.

I am having two issues. With only only single clip in the media pool which is a simple pan the video stutters. I get the same affect if i watch the MP4 clip with Windows Media player. However, if i run the clip using VLC media player it's silky smooth. I'm assuming that it could be different codecs being used. The clip is 4K but the project i created in Davinci I specified as 1080. Can i set the codec to use the one that VLC uses to get rid of the stutter ?

Second issue i have is a warning saying "You GPU memory is full" try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of corrector. I am running my workstation resource monitor and my GPU is at 3%. The CPU is up and down a bit but never 100%. So I'm not sure why it is complaining. And at this stage in my use of Davinci I don't know anything about reducing my timeline resolution or what a corrector is.

Can some one point me the right direction on how to resolve these two issue.

regards

ErickTreetops

Carsten Sellberg

Re: Issues with GPU

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Ericktreetops wrote: Second issue i have is a warning saying "You GPU memory is full"

Hi.

You don't give us much information to work with, as the codec of your recording?

I can tell you that you can't use the VLC's internal decoding of the Codec in Resolve. But you can may be transcode your recordings to an intermediate codec Resolve easier can read.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

And 4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of HD, and require better hardware. For 4K resolutions do I normally recommend a Graphics Card with at least 8 GB of VRam. I expect you get the "You GPU memory is full" message, because your Graphics card don't have 8 GB vRam?

I good place to start will be to tell us the full specification of your PC.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Ericktreetops

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks for that.
I wasn't sure what information was relevant and didn't want make a long winded first post.
My workstation is a Windows 64bit o/s running from an SSD
CPU is a 4 core I7-7700 cpu running at 3.6 Ghz
I have 16GB of ram
The graphics card is a AMD Radeon R7 200 series running a 2560x1080 monitor
chosen because at the time it was one of the few windows 10 cards that worked with the monitor.

I've downloaded MediaInfo to give me more information about the raw files. I cannot find such an option in Davinci resolve.

I have provided a screen shot when previewing one of the clips with a stutter in it through the edit pane preview. Please note the very low usage of available gpu. CPU when previewing the clip sits around the 75% to 80% but does jump around a bit. This is a 4k , 60fps variable bit rate mp4 which is 424Mb in size.
4k with stutter Perforamnce Monitgor screenshot.JPG
4k 60fps stutter when played by Davinci and Windows Movie maker. Runs smooth via VLC player
4k with stutter Perforamnce Monitgor screenshot.JPG (206.75 KiB) Viewed 808 times

The second screenshot is a clip 1080 at 30fps , 16Mb
No stutter but uses about the same cpu and gpu as the 4k file.
HD smooth Performance Monitor screenshot.JPG
Running in Edit Panel. Process monitor shows GPU at same level .
HD smooth Performance Monitor screenshot.JPG (185.68 KiB) Viewed 808 times

As you can see absolutely no resources are being stressed. There is still 300% addition GPU capacity and CPU is not stressed.

And last but not least is the same 4k clip being run by VLC media player but without any stutter thati had in the first screenshot. Notice performance monitor gpu is higher and cpu is lower and constant
4k running VLC media player same clip as before Perforamnce Monitgor screenshot.JPG
Same clip in VLC player as the first screen shot in Davinci
4k running VLC media player same clip as before Perforamnce Monitgor screenshot.JPG (210.96 KiB) Viewed 808 times

With such under utilized resources I cannot justify upgrading the hardware. What i think might fix the stutter is if i can recorded the video down to 1080. I have never attempted this so i'm not sure if i can use something like Handbrake to do this. I have no idea if Davinci Resolve can do this for me or how to do this through Davinci resolve.

Any pointer on how to achieve this appreciated.

regards

ErickTreetops

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi

First thanks for your additional Information.

You don't write if your AMD Radeon R7 200 series Graphics Card have 1GB, 2GB or 4GB vRam. But the low amount of vRam are your main problem.

QUOTE my previus post:'
In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

And 4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of HD, and require better hardware. For 4K resolutions do I normally recommend a Graphics Card with at least 8 GB of VRam.'

I don't think Resolve will work well with only 1GB of vRam. If you only have 1GB of vRam, will I suggest you try to use the Internal Graphics Card in your Intel CPU instead.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Jean Claude

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Ericktreetops wrote:Hi,
this is my first attempt at using Davinci Resolve and i downloaded it a few days ago. I have a Xiamo 4k+ action Camera which i used to shoot video during last months trip to Vietnam.

I am having two issues. With only only single clip in the media pool which is a simple pan the video stutters. I get the same affect if i watch the MP4 clip with Windows Media player. However, if i run the clip using VLC media player it's silky smooth. I'm assuming that it could be different codecs being used. The clip is 4K but the project i created in Davinci I specified as 1080. Can i set the codec to use the one that VLC uses to get rid of the stutter ?

Second issue i have is a warning saying "You GPU memory is full" try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of corrector. I am running my workstation resource monitor and my GPU is at 3%. The CPU is up and down a bit but never 100%. So I'm not sure why it is complaining. And at this stage in my use of Davinci I don't know anything about reducing my timeline resolution or what a corrector is.

Can some one point me the right direction on how to resolve these two issue.

regards

ErickTreetops

Hello,

You should read
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
General Troubleshooting

There are GPU tips
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Mario Kalogjera

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm

What is the resolution of the project/timeline? If it's UHD, this GPU has too little memory (2Gb) to handle it, drop your timeline down to 1080p and try.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Return to DaVinci Resolve