Trouble copying and pasting color node keyframes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chickenwarrior

Trouble copying and pasting color node keyframes

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Resolve but have used it for colour grading on a few projects now. I recently updated to Resolve 15. I recall being able to copy and paste node keyframes simply with Command-C/V, and the keyframes would start wherever my cursor was on the timeline for the clip. However, I'm having trouble transferring keyframes from one clip to another using this method or the 'Apply Grade' method specified in the user manual. I suspect it is because the timecode is different on the two clips. Is there a way to copy and paste keyframes to align at the start of a clip or where the playhead is instead of based purely on the original timecode? I'd be happy to drag them around and readjust the keyframes, but they're not even visible since the clip I'm copying them to is much longer and I only have a short portion towards the end of the clip on my timeline. Hope that makes sense and thanks for any assistance!

Marc Wielage

Re: Trouble copying and pasting color node keyframes

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 am

Grab a still of the shot you want to copy from. Go to the shot you want to copy to. Right-click in the Gallery window (gray background) and choose "Apply Grades Using -> Keyframes Aligned from Start Frames" and that should do what you want. Be warned this is tricky.

Covered on p. 2107 of the v15 manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

George Leon

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 12:20 pm

I'm just trying this in R17.2.2. It doesn't seem to work for timeline grades, keyframes aren't copied. It does copy the entire keyframe panel state, including the keyframe-enable toggles for the relevant correctors, just no actual keyframes.

The source and target clips are identical (the length of the project, it's a mastering session) but used in different timelines of the same project. None of the 'Apply Grades Using' options apply the keyframes.

Anybody else seeing this? Bug?

abouthillier

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 pm

George, I too am having this issue. In the color page, middle click, or Apply Grade will replicate the node structure just fine, but not copy over any of the adjustments made to the nodes. It's incredibly frustrating, as I now have to copy each individual node, for each clip. I have yet to find a solution, but you're not alone.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:04 pm

George Leon wrote:The source and target clips are identical
Wait, you're Applying the grade to a clip, or to a timeline?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

George Leon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
George Leon wrote:The source and target clips are identical
Wait, you're Applying the grade to a clip, or to a timeline?

Both my source and target grades are timeline grades. Everything copies across, including the keyframe panel state - just no actual keyframes.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 am

George Leon wrote:I'm just trying this in R17.2.2. It doesn't seem to work for timeline grades, keyframes aren't copied.

Timeline keyframes would be a special case. I can't imagine a case -- ever -- where you'd want to copy those. I would bet this is by design.

I think you should find another way to do what you're doing. I do routinely share Timeline keyframes when I remaster film features, because once the reel actually begins (prior to bars and slate and countdown and so on), I change the sizing as a specific Output Sizing adjustment on the Timeline. But I do that by duplicating the timeline, not by copying the keyframes per se. To me, Timeline grades are one of those "project-wide" things like sizing or letterbox borders or something like that, not something I'd want to gradually change in a grade dissolve or something. I think for the same reason, you can't do a keyframe in a Pre-Clip or Post-Clip grade, since every shot is different.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

George Leon

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
George Leon wrote:I'm just trying this in R17.2.2. It doesn't seem to work for timeline grades, keyframes aren't copied.

Timeline keyframes would be a special case. I can't imagine a case -- ever -- where you'd want to copy those. I would bet this is by design.

no I think it's a bug, as the keyframe panel state is copied - that makes no sense if keyframes aren't supposed to be supported. (EDIT: and of course I was able to create keyframes on the timeline grade in the first place).

here was my use case: I rendered out my 1080p stereo 3D master render using separate eyes. I create a new project to a) upscale to 1440p (so YouTube will give me their better VP9 codec by default), and to create both 2D and frame-packed 3D version from the separate eye view files.

I also use this project to master the Rec2020 source render to 709 with a custom grade. As the Side-by-side timeline has separate left and right eye clips (and nothing else), it makes sense to use a timeline grade for the mastering grade. But one shot required a saturation adjustment, which I keyframed. I wanted to copy this grade to the timeline that has the 2D render.

Sure there are other ways to skin this cat, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug and not by design. It was probably overlooked because it doesn't come up very often.

[...] But I do that by duplicating the timeline, not by copying the keyframes per se. To me, Timeline grades are one of those "project-wide" things like sizing or letterbox borders or something like that, not something I'd want to gradually change in a grade dissolve or something. I think for the same reason, you can't do a keyframe in a Pre-Clip or Post-Clip grade, since every shot is different.

Yes copying the timeilne is one option, but then I have to rebuild the frame layout for the target timeline every time I make a grade change.

I'm not saying mine is the only approach, but I think it's revealed a bug that was overlooked.

Return to DaVinci Resolve