BMD channel & training video updates

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RenanMDP

Re: BMD channel & training video updates

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 9:54 am

Theo Van laar wrote:Thanks for the very good training videos and books. For me as a newbie, they have been very helpful.But now with the version 17 of Resolve coming very soon, I was wondering if BMD is planning to also have training videos/books for Resolve 17. This would be appreciated very much.

Same. I'd really love it if they update their training books to 17.
⟦ Ryzen 5600X 6-cores 12-threads 4.6GHz | 64GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz| RTX 3060 12GB ⟧
⟦ Windows 11 Pro | Resolve Free 18 ⟧

Povlhp

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:11 am

The videos on editing is so old that the new Cut page is not there.
And they are selling the Speed Editor bundle to promote the Cut page.
Could we please get a tutorial where the cut page is used for rough cuts ?

Sean Nelson

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Povlhp wrote:The videos on editing is so old that the new Cut page is not there.
And they are selling the Speed Editor bundle to promote the Cut page.
Could we please get a tutorial where the cut page is used for rough cuts ?

If you look at the DaVinci Resolve V17 announcement video there's a section on how the Speed Editor works with the Cut page starting at 58:20. It's not quite as detailed as the training videos tend to be, but it was more than adequate to get me working with it.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Jens G

PostThu May 20, 2021 4:56 pm

About 3 Weeks ago Darria mentioned in a YT Video, that she just finished a new Color Tutorial. Is there a release date?
She is great (Goats Eye View is still a fantastic Tutorial)
---------------
Win 11/ Intel Core i7(13), 64GB RAM DDR4, Nvida RTX 3080

GregRG

PostThu May 27, 2021 8:45 am

Hi

Ive been working through the free Tutorials on the BMD training page. They are great and I am learning heaps. I'm currently working through my third tutorial, Daria Fissoun's Color Correction tutorial and have a question about it. I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask a question.
On page 15 she mentions: "A significant elevation appears to the left, where a window is positioned behind the scale, and to the right you’ll see a gentle peak where the light reflects off the plastic rim". I've looked at this for some time and the statement does not look correct. It speaks to my flawed understanding of color curves probably. If the elevation of the curves is to the left of the curve graph then this would have to relate to the darker part of the image however the gentle peak to the right, being on the right would have to be the bright window. If I isolate just that part of the curve which maps to the "gentle peak" and adjust the mapping line, it seems to change the brightness of the window only. Doing the same to the "significant elevation" does not affect the window.
Note I am a beginner and easily confused....
Does this make sense ?
Greg

Sean Nelson

PostThu May 27, 2021 10:27 am

GregRG wrote:...On page 15 she mentions: "A significant elevation appears to the left, where a window is positioned behind the scale, and to the right you’ll see a gentle peak where the light reflects off the plastic rim". I've looked at this for some time and the statement does not look correct. It speaks to my flawed understanding of color curves probably. If the elevation of the curves is to the left of the curve graph then this would have to relate to the darker part of the image however the gentle peak to the right, being on the right would have to be the bright window. If I isolate just that part of the curve which maps to the "gentle peak" and adjust the mapping line, it seems to change the brightness of the window only.

It sounds to me like you're confusing the waveform monitor and the curves panel.

On page 15 of the Color Correction guide, the waveform monitor is immediately to the right of the image that shows the window and the scale. In that waveform, the rise on the left corresponds to the window on the left, and the small "spike" around 3/4 of the way toward the right corresponds to the highlight on the right edge of the scale face.

The curves panel is the diagram at the bottom of the page. This diagram is a combination of a histogram and a curves editor. The histogram is the "peaks" that look like an exaggerated mountain range and the curves editor is the diagonal line.

In the curves panel, the horizontal (left/right) axis does not correspond to the left and right parts of the image the way the waveform monitor does. It shows a range of pixel brightneses from dark at the left to bright at the right. So the large peak in the in the histogram is telling you that there are a lot of pixels in the image that are in the darkish gray range - those pixels can occur anywhere in the image. The much smaller peak about 2/3 of the way to the right tells you that are another bunch of pixels that are in the brightish gray range, and again the diagram tells you nothing about where those pixels are.

If you modify the curve by dragging up the portion of the line that's in the lower gray range, you'll brighten all of the pixels that are darkish gray, no matter where they are (left, right, top, bottom) in the image.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

GregRG

PostThu May 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Sean Nelson wrote:It sounds to me like you're confusing the waveform monitor and the curves panel.
Hi Sean, thanks for the reply. You're absolutely right ! I was reading the text and looking at the curves monitor... :D Of course the give away, are the words "of the waveform graph" not "of the curves monitor". The rest I understand. Appreciate your reply.
thanks
Greg

Dinesh

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi,
Introduction to Editing video on Training Videos page has gone missing. Only the project files are available. Kindly update.
Thank you,
Dinesh.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 am

Indeed. Maybe for corrections?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Gianluca

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 pm

Sorry but I have a question. In the beginner's guide on p. 153 of the chapter "Moving Clips in the Timeline" it is said about reconnecting the clips but DaVinci does not find all the clips even with the extensive search. I checked the folders contained in R17 Beginners Guide lessons but actually some clips in the timeline such as A1_380_TAXI.mov does not exist! There is 06 A380 TAXI instead. I believe that the timelines in the ROUGH CUTS bin of Age of Airplanes.drp contain errors. For example the CH05 Move timeline does not exist in the ROUGH CUTS bin in the example files but the timeline named 02_Trim Rough Cut exists. Maybe I did something wrong? :roll:

Michae1

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 am

Great materials, thanks a lot.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve