Detect DaVinci final render on an OpenFX plugin

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Enrico Ruggiano

Detect DaVinci final render on an OpenFX plugin

PostFri Jun 28, 2019 11:47 am

Good Morning.

I am currently work on an OpenFx Plugin target for a DaVinciResolve host and I would like that my plugin should be able to distinguish a preview render from a final render, the one performed in the Delivery page of DaVinci.

I would ask you if there is a way from an OpenFx plugin to detect it.

I have checked OpenFx flags as "kOfxImageEffectPropSequentialRenderStatus", kOfxImageEffectPropInteractiveRenderStatus" and "kOfxPropIsInteractive" but I did not find differences between the preview and the final render.

Also I have tried to integrate inside the OpenFx plugin some python code which uses the DaVinciResolve script Python Api but It crashes when I try to load the fusionscript.dll in the Resolve context.
Instead everything is fine when I use the same code in a standalone c++ program.

So I would ask you if is it possible from an OpenFx plugin to access the Resolve python Api and if there is a lock mechanism which is preventing it. In that case I would ask you which should be the correct way for an OpenFx plugin to access it.

Jim Simon

Re: Detect DaVinci final render on an OpenFX plugin

PostFri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Your request doesn't make any sense. The exported file doesn't exist in Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

franciscovaldez

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 4:13 pm

What's the difference between a preview render and a final render?
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Jean Claude

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Enrico Ruggiano wrote:Good Morning.
.../...from a final render, the one performed in the Delivery page of DaVinci..../...

Hello,
See in Pipeline Processing in manual where you can use OFX. Not possible entry in Delivery Page at this time. :cry:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:51 am

franciscovaldez wrote:What's the difference between a preview render and a final render?

The preview render is a Cache file. The final render is the exported file. The latter exists solely outside of the software, which is why this request is weird.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 11:16 am

Jim Simon wrote:The preview render is a Cache file. The final render is the exported file. The latter exists solely outside of the software, which is why this request is weird.

Final exported file does not appear from thin air, Resolve is rendering that and to do that, it is requesting ofx plugin to do its work.

As I understand it, question is about probing whether ofx plugin engine is requested in timeline render or delivery render state. Don't see anything weird in that. Whether it is possible or not is probably a question for software development subforum, some dev can maybe answer about it. If you don't get a difference in these flags resolve as a host probably does not fill them in.
I do stuff

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:question is about probing whether ofx plugin engine is requested in timeline render or delivery render state.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. The way it was worded, I thought something different.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve