Foley Sampler

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rogurt

Foley Sampler

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 9:56 am

I was happy to see that foley can now be played via midi keyboard. Even more so when I saw that I could easily flick several wavs at once on the keyboard. Thats so much easier than placing wave files one by one. Only I dont unterstand how the workflow should be and to edit the samples once you recorded a foley "track"...

- Are the "tracks" in the foley sampler meant to each record a different sound?
- Can single Sounds be edited in Step Mode or only deleted and newly recorded? (timing or loudness)
- Do I have to have a empty audio file apply the "Foley sampler" effect to that and record to that file/track?
- or would I rather put the sampler in an empty audio cannel effects slot?
- is there no tutorial, manual or other info on the foley sampler?

Anyone with a little experience on that?
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X @stock water cooled
AsRock Taichi x370 mainboard, latest Chipset Drivers (NVidia), latest Bios
G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4 x 16 GB PC4-28800
1TB System SSD + 1 TB Nvme m2
NVidia RTX2070, 461.72 studio driver
Win10.0.19042 Resolve 17.1.1

Rogurt

Re: Foley Sampler

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 10:09 am

From my experience with other samplers and audio software I would think that "Dub" mode would be used to add sounds to an existing "recording" (sampler events recorded in the effect not an audio track). "Rec" would than be used to record sounds and overwrite everything underneath. But it does not seem to work that way....

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 11:33 am

Rogurt wrote:Are the "tracks" in the foley sampler meant to each record a different sound?
Individual "Tracks" within the Foley Event Recorder may contain multiple source samples, like standard Audio Tracks.

Multiple source samples may be grouped, for example, per "Track" by type, allowing the blending of multiple source "groups" across the various "Tracks" to create a single performance.

Alternatively, each "Track" may contain a unique performance comprising multiple source samples, allowing the auditioning of the different versions between the various Tracks.

Can single Sounds be edited in Step Mode or only deleted and newly recorded? (timing or loudness)
Currently, single events may only be deleted or re-recorded within Step Record Mode.

While source samples may be reassigned per event, the original event's Timecode In and duration will still apply.

Do I have to have a empty audio file apply the "Foley sampler" effect to that and record to that file/track?
would I rather put the sampler in an empty audio cannel effects slot?
The Foley Sampler Instrument should be inserted on an empty Audio Track.

There is no requirement to commit and print the output of the Foley Sampler to an Audio Track, as the Instrument captures in passes, playing the multiple performances back as if they were a single event spanning the duration of the Timeline.

is there no tutorial, manual or other info on the foley sampler?
Currently, the only available documentation is the DaVinci Resolve 16 New Features Guide, which outlines the basics of the Foley Sampler Instrument.

Rogurt

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. That will definitively help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve