smooth playback suggestions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lamacchiacosta

smooth playback suggestions

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 am

Hi everyone,
newbie on DaVinci and editing in general, so please forget my non tech language and please don't abuse me too much.
I am trying to edit a documentary shot with a Fujifilm X-T20, 4K 3840x2160. Audio is recorded on camera AND external recorders. All then synced up.
I would like to start assembling before editing and I am struggling to get a smooth playback.
I was syncing with DaVinci 15 using my previous laptop and desktop but then I was struggling to get a smooth playback and I thought because my machines weren't too powerful (I am doing mainly audio and with those I could do billions of audio tracks with no problem), so I've sold my desktop and laptop and got the latest MacBook Pro and installed DaVinci 16 thinking this would have helped to get a smooth playback.
NOT.
I am not doing any FXs or fancy things, just assembling clips one after the other but frames keeps dropping and it get frustrating and very distracting at the point that I cannot be concentrated in following the flow and listening to what the interwiewees are saying.
Obviously I am using Optimised Media, tried different setting but none of them helped me to have a smooth playback.
On my partner old laptop, with Adobe Premiere, all seems going flawlessly, I then tried to install Premiere on my fancy new machine but it seems it's too new to have Premiere installed, so I am now stuck with DaVinci.

I would like to know if someone could help me to achieve a smooth playback pointing me out things I should check and setting to have for that.
My Project Settings are attached.

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
video monitorin.png
video monitorin.png (132.26 KiB) Viewed 834 times
timeline format.png
timeline format.png (120.07 KiB) Viewed 834 times
optimized media and render cache.png
optimized media and render cache.png (122.61 KiB) Viewed 834 times

David_Cox

Re: smooth playback suggestions

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:38 am

A couple of things to check....

1) You have set your timeline resolution to 3840x2160. Unless you really need to view at this resolution, I would suggest dropping it to 1920 x 1080 to see if that improves things. You can always put it back before export.

2) Apart from the setting regarding Optimimized Media file format, there are two other points to actually use it. In your media browser, you need to generate optimized media by right clicking your source files and selecting the generate function. You also need to tick "use optimized media" in the edit>playback menu.

3) On the edit display, look for three dots above the viewing monitor and click them. Ensure that "show all video frames" is ticked.

Hope that helps.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

John Paines

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Along with the suggestion to change the timeline resolution to HD during editing, your "PAL" video monitoring setting could be a problem. What happens when you set it to match the timeline resolution?

Also, concerning 3) above, I think you want to do the opposite: *don't* select "show all video frames".

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 2:33 pm

You should be using Optimized Media for best performance. I recommend Cineform YUV 10 bit at 1/4 resolution.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

lamacchiacosta

PostMon Jul 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
It seems ticking "show all video frames" did the job, like David's point 3) .
Every other suggestions is what I already tried and it's in place, proxies included.

Thanks a lot!

Return to DaVinci Resolve