How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarnMxxx

How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 am

Would like to know how to extend the end of any audio as reverb. Can do this in pretty much all other mainstream editors so can someone explain how it's done in Resolve?

Thanks

Peter Cave

Re: How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:41 am

No special method, just add the reverb effect and the reverb tail will extend past the clip.
Resolve 16.0
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 am

Not happening here. The clip ends and so does the reverb.

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 am

You should be on the Fairlight Page. For final output you will also need to have some black or other vision in the timeline so the audio clip with the reverb 'tail' is not the last clip in the timeline.
Resolve 16.0
Mac OSX 10.13.6
GTX 1060 6GB

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I've got a solid color generator going well past the audio clip that I'm trying to reverb out. The reverb still stops at the end of the audio clip. I also added a silent audio clip that extends past the reverb clip. Reverb still stops at end of clip I added reverb to.

If anyone can make this work can you please detail exactly how to do it? This is standard fair for any high end professional video editor. As far as I can tell Resolve can't do this basic technique, very disconcerting.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I never found a way to make this work in Adobe Premiere Pro either.

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I never found a way to make this work in Adobe Premiere Pro either.

How to in Premiere:
https://motionarray.com/tutorials/premi ... g-anywhere

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:15 pm

That tutorial isn't quite right. He's performing the operation in the middle of the audio file, not the end of it. I wanted to add reverb to the actual end of the song, end of the file. That's what I never got working.

Oyvind Stiauren

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm

MarnMxxx wrote:I've got a solid color generator going well past the audio clip that I'm trying to reverb out..

I don't work much with Fairlight, but maybe you could try to convert the color generator clip into a compound clip, or insert a real clip with just black instead of the generator. When you have a generator at the end of a sequence, Resolve will sometimes stop at the end of the real video clip, and ignore the generator.
--
Oyvind Stiauren, C.S.I.
Senior Colorist
Terminal, Mexico City
www.terminalmx.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm1008209/

jackhumbert

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 pm

I came across this via a Google search, so maybe this will be helpful to someone else:

If you remove the Reverb effect from your clip, duplicate it, place it right afterwards, and reduce the volume to -100 (or otherwise insert a blank audio clip), you can select the two clips with the Range Selection Mool (R), going a bit beyond each on either side, then choosing Timeline > Bounce Selected Tracks to New Layer from the menu. You can then trim the clip as needed, and add back the Reverb effect.

It is pretty frustrating that it doesn't have a "bleed" option of some sort, but at least this is a quick work-around. If you're recording these in Resolve, you can just leave some silence at the end of the clip, which can serve as room noise as well (this ended up working better for my application).

David_Cox

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 pm

The effect does not extend beyond the audio track, so one solution is to effectively extend the track by adding something to the end of it - even a solid color - and making a compound clip out of them both. Then add the reverb effect to that.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. I can see danger in allowing effects to live on after the end of an audio track. For example, when you come to export and set an outpoint by looking at the tracks on the timeline. This could lead to accidentally cutting off a continuing audio effect.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Peter Cave

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 am

The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.
Resolve 16.0
Mac OSX 10.13.6
GTX 1060 6GB

Joshua Morin

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 am

Peter Cave wrote:The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.

This hardly Seems like the easy way to do it. What happens if you have to move the clip around? Then you have to redo the animation?
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 16.1.2.026 Studio
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750 2.20GHz, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb

Peter Cave

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 5:05 am

Joshua Morin wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.

This hardly Seems like the easy way to do it. What happens if you have to move the clip around? Then you have to redo the animation?

It's the only way to do it.
Resolve 16.0
Mac OSX 10.13.6
GTX 1060 6GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve