Can't leave fullscreen mode

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ijunghaertchen

Can't leave fullscreen mode

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 am

Activation of fullscreen mode via green (+) button in top left corner switches Resolve 16 Beta 4 & 5 into fullscreen mode which cannot be exited.
In Fullscreen mode, the menubar is always active, so the window control buttons have no chance of appearing when moving the mouse to the top right corner. Also, the dock won't slide in from the screen bottom.

Keyboard commands such as esc, cmd-esc do not work. Restart of ap and/or mac won't resolve the issue: Resolve is stuck in fullscreen mode.

Experienced on an iMac 5K. I'm not trying it on other Macs, I don't want to also be stuck in fullscreen on them.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can't leave fullscreen mode

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 am

Try, workspace menu, full screen mode.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ijunghaertchen

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 12:12 pm

This got me out of fullscreen, thanks. Selecting "Workspace/Full Screen" brought me back to a traditional windowed application.

I still would consider this behavior confusing and counterintuitive, but it's a way of getting DaVinci Resolve out of fullscreen.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Boxlab

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Thank you so much! I was losing my mind on this...'much appreciated.

Antonio Bonomo

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:07 pm

I'm having this same problem, but I can't uncheck the Full Screen Window, as that line has a check mark, but it is greyed out, so I can't deselect it. I am using two monitors, is that a function of having two monitors? Do I need to set it to just one monitor to go to a windowed version? Or am I missing something else? *** Edit *** I'm working from home, and right after I posted this, I went back and disabled the second screen, and I was then allowed to uncheck the Full Screen Window. Problem solved.

linshukla

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 12:20 am

I needed this page to get me out of fullscreen mode.
And the reason why I GOT into fullscreen mode is because otherwise the davinci window bottom drops below the bottom of my screen so I cannot even grab the bottom edge to resize it!

Is there another way to NOT be in fullscreen but so that the window is not so big as to drop below the bottom of my screen? :?

thecreatureman

PostSun May 30, 2021 7:59 pm

This happened to me also, and couldn't figure it out. I agree this function is very counter productive.

Charles Bennett

PostSun May 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Never had a problem with full screen mode and have it on all the time. If Resolve does not fit your screen check that your screen scaling is set correctly and that the screen resolution is set to native.
If I want the Windows task bar it is set to auto hide at the bottom of the screen. This is Resolve running on two 23" 1080 monitors in full screen mode.
Attachments
Resolve.jpg
Resolve.jpg (507.95 KiB) Viewed 12180 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

deadriff

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 pm

I'm having this issue as well. Hitting the fullscreen button at the top left auto checks the "Full Screen Window" option under Workspace. Hitting the the "Full Screen Window" option makes it so I can't access the top bar of the window to take it out of fullscreen, the task bar at the bottom, or the menu options at the top. Is this a bug? I've restarted my Macbook and it hasn't fixed it either

venison

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Just experiencing this problem. Is there a way to enter a "normal" Mac fullscreen mode where I can use gestures to switch between apps as it works on literally any other app on MacOS?
--DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18
--macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
--Apple M1 16GB RAM
--Samsung T5 SSD Drive for DaVinci Resolve project files and cache

TheBloke

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 4:23 pm

venison wrote:Just experiencing this problem. Is there a way to enter a "normal" Mac fullscreen mode where I can use gestures to switch between apps as it works on literally any other app on MacOS?
Yes. Just bring up Mission Control and drag Resolve to its own desktop.

Warning: don't then choose Workspace -> Full Screen Window. I just tried it and the UI totally crapped out, going all black and then when I brought it back to a non-Full Screen window, it resized down to a tiny window which appeared fully functional, except for being postage stamp sized. (A Force Quit and reopen sorted it).

Seems to work fine without that option on though.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

venison

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm

TheBloke wrote:
venison wrote:Just experiencing this problem. Is there a way to enter a "normal" Mac fullscreen mode where I can use gestures to switch between apps as it works on literally any other app on MacOS?
Yes. Just bring up Mission Control and drag Resolve to its own desktop.

Warning: don't then choose Workspace -> Full Screen Window. I just tried it and the UI totally crapped out, going all black and then when I brought it back to a non-Full Screen window, it resized down to a tiny window which appeared fully functional, except for being postage stamp sized. (A Force Quit and reopen sorted it).

Seems to work fine without that option on though.

I thought of that too. But why does the app not behave like all other apps? Is there any chance that this bug can be fixed in a future update?
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

venison

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 2:28 pm

I just dragged Resolve to its own desktop. The result is that I can not click anywhere in resolve. Dragging it back to the main desktop did not solve the problem. When clicking on DaVinci Resolve in the menu bar "quit DaVinci Resolve" is grayed out.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

TheBloke

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 2:41 pm

We're you in Resolve's Full Screen Window mode when you did it? If so sounds like the same issue I describe above. If not, dont know, it worked OK for me.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

venison

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 3:56 pm

TheBloke wrote:We're you in Resolve's Full Screen Window mode when you did it? If so sounds like the same issue I describe above. If not, dont know, it worked OK for me.

No. I am dragging it as a normal sized window.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Alec Kinnear

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 10:37 pm

"Just bring up Mission Control and drag Resolve to its own desktop."

Thank you so much for the tip. I don't use Mission Control much but opening up Mission Control and dragging the dead window out of the top was the only way to escape full screen mode when FastRawViewer had frozen in full screen mode. Force-quit did not work, nor did any key combinations. Nor did changing screen resolution or even pulling the monitor cable out of the graphics card.

Return to DaVinci Resolve