Studio B6 Crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chuboy

Studio B6 Crash

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 am

Hi,

I recently had a crash in Resolve 16 Beta 6, in what otherwise is a super simple project.

Project only had a single 30fps ProRes 4444 MOV clip on the new Cut page, with only stabilization applied. I was adding dissolve transitions and it crashed. There are no other assets in the media pool or timeline. Only odd thing is the video file is a screen capture and so had an awkward resolution of 1919x1066

Crash Logs here:
https://d.pr/f/036VYU

Can anyone from BM help out, given it's such a simple project, I was pretty shocked.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio B6 Crash

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 am

Can you make the clips 1920x1066 and test?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

chuboy

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 am

Hi Peter,

I wasn't able to reproduce the crash. I basically relaunched the project with the odd aspect ratio video file, added the necessary transitions and just focused on getting out of dodge and deliver the output (it was urgent).

So it's not like the odd resolution file is 100% correlating to the crashes as I was able to add my transitions, scrub the timeline and stabilize the entire clip.

I just thought the crash logs would help given the simplicity of the project.

I have a lot of friends who switched over to Resolve 15 from Premiere on account of my recommendation, but they're all getting frequent crashes in Resolve 15 with much more complicated projects which I figure will be harder for you guys to diagnose.

It would be nice to know based on the crash logs what you think the potential cause might be.

Thanks
Conrad

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 2:09 am

Looks like on the 7-9 crash, something related to a transition and the playhead position on the Cut page. Specifically that the playhead should not be in subframe, whatever that might mean.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

chuboy

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 am

Yup, I have a CS background and saw that as well in the July 9th crash.

No idea what a subframe means. The video is 30fps ProRes 4444 MOV. No intraframes here.

Return to DaVinci Resolve