Software dependencies

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joseph McLaughlin

Software dependencies

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 am

Looking to try out Davinci Resolve and when starting the installer it shows a list of other components to install, including:
  1. PostgreSQL
  2. Davinci Resolve Panels
  3. Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility
  4. Fairlight Studio Utility
Can you please give a rundown of what each of these are, and whether any are optional? For example, I don't own any Davinci hardware including Panels or the Fairlight audio Accelerator, so I shouldn't need to install the software related to those, correct?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Software dependencies

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am

I think all are options but I have in the back of my mind that the panel may not be.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm

1. allows for a certain kind of data base. I think it's required.

2. allows for color control panels, like the following. I think this is also required.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... lve/panels

3. and 4. relate to special hardware one can add to make Fairlight more capable. These are optional.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 5:15 pm

None of those are required items to run Resolve.

1. Installs a PostgreSQL database server on the system. But the default database format is a Disk based database. If you don't know what the PostgreSQL database is, you likely don't need it.

2. Installs the DaVinci Mini and Micro panel driver. If you don't have either of those panels, you don't need it.

3. Installs a Fairlight Audio Acceleration driver. Unless you've added a Fairlight Audio Accelerator card, you don't need this.

4. Installs software to configure the Fairlight panels. If you don't have Fairlight panels, you don't need this.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 pm

While 1 and 2 may not be required to run Resolve, if memory serves, I don't think it will install without them.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:52 pm

It installs without them just fine.

On Windows there is at least one more dependency however that isn't optional and can't be unselected, the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. It might not show up in the list if it's already installed.

Joseph McLaughlin

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:None of those are required items to run Resolve.

1. Installs a PostgreSQL database server on the system. But the default database format is a Disk based database. If you don't know what the PostgreSQL database is, you likely don't need it.

2. Installs the DaVinci Mini and Micro panel driver. If you don't have either of those panels, you don't need it.

3. Installs a Fairlight Audio Acceleration driver. Unless you've added a Fairlight Audio Accelerator card, you don't need this.

4. Installs software to configure the Fairlight panels. If you don't have Fairlight panels, you don't need this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer thoroughly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve