Smoothing F-stop jump in video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rocket111

Smoothing F-stop jump in video

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello,
I am shooting with the Black Magic URSA 4.6 Pro using the BM-RAW compression and am getting a pronounced "jump" of 1 frame when using the auto-iris function as the camera changes f-stops. As a newbie using Fusion, I am trying to figure out the best way to smooth out that transition so it's not so prominent. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve Baker

Dermot Shane

Re: Smoothing F-stop jump in video

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 am

Resolve's "color stabliser" can do wonders on a good day, make it worse on another... give it a try

failing that gab a still, add a keyframe, move to the end of the stop pull, add another keyframe and match manualy

if it's a true stop pull then working in linear light and only useing exposure can work well

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 am

While the URSA is a great camera for the price, I’d neither rely on AF nor auto iris.
It’s a cine camera and should be used manually, with a manual iris pull in your case
But since the damage is already done, I second the suggestions above.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Rocket111

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Thank you both for your wonderful wisdom! I will move forward with the Color Stabilizer/key frame process, and switch off the auto-iris.

Steve

JPOwens

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Rocket111 wrote:getting a pronounced "jump" of 1 frame when using the auto-iris function

Good luck with that.

Curing exposure jumps in footage varies with the cause. It's rarely just 1 frame. Lucky you if that is the case.

And it's even more extremely rare that there is an auto-fix, since the exposure range will be different over the contrast range. Largely guaranteed that a quick twist of the "gain" knob will not do anything helpful. If there is any shutter priority you might also have a sharpness change with the jump.

Touching the f-stop on a lens used to be grounds for dismissal from a set. Not worse than cracking the lid on a can of exposed neg. Which would be worse, but not by much.

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve