Resolve 16 bugginess: is it me? my machine? or the software?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris P

Resolve 16 bugginess: is it me? my machine? or the software?

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm

This is not intended as a gripe session. I do hope this doesn't unleash a torrent of complaining. It's just a couple questions I'm curious about to help me decide if this software is really for me or if funds need to go to a new machine.

Background: I've been working with Resolve now for about 6 weeks, so I am no expert. (Perhaps I should ask this question in 6 months...) I'm using 16.0B.040 on a 2013 imac with 16gb ram. I realize I am pushing it by using such an old machine with its processors and graphics card.

I find Resolve 16 very buggy. I imagine that a lot of these bugs existed in 15. Many of the bugs are small things, but they become very annoying over time. Like how cmd-4 doesn't always make the timeline panel active. Or how the keyboard command for next/previous edit can feel random at times and skip edits or not move at all. Or how I'll use a keyboard command to append a clip to the end of the timeline and instead of the currently selected clip the clip I had selected a moment ago will be appended. I rename a clip and the cursor disappears. Keyboard commands work intermittently: hello "next marker/previous marker"! Commands work in one window but not another. I can grab the gain line in the timeline only after clicking a couple times on the clip. Etc. Etc Etc. They all add up to a fair distraction while trying to create and they do slow me down.

How much of this stuff is due to running an ancient machine that is not really listed as compatible with Resolve 16? Or how much of this might be just endemic to the current release? Is this a characteristic of Resolve 15? If this is just par for the course, I'm tempted to look elsewhere for editing (though I love Resolve for colour.)

I imagine that updating my computer would seriously improve performance, in terms of speed, but how much would it help with these annoying issues? Rendering speed, etc. is not super important to me, so I'd rather spend my cash on the other needs I have for the film I am making and not on a computer.

Or am I the only one encountering this because of the old machine, ineptitude, onset of dementia, or general spazziness? (To be fair to myself: I never found Premiere to be super buggy, or FCP7, so I am guessing it's not only me...I've edited a feature length documentary film on FCP, several very complicated experimental documentary shorts on FCP and Premiere, so I'm not utterly lacking in experience.)

RCModelReviews

Re: Resolve 16 bugginess: is it me? my machine? or the softw

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 pm

I think the secret is in the name: Davinci Resolve 16 *BETA*.

I'm still using DR15 for production stuff and, for such a large and powerful piece of software, there are remarkably few bugs (the Fusion page notwithstanding).

I suspect that by the time we get a release version of 16, it too will be up to BMD's usual high standards of robustness.

Others may wish to provide alternative perspectives -- because I'm not a Mac user so can't really comment on the adequacy of your hardware.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Chris P

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 am

I should have been more explicit in my question and asked in addition to my other questions: "Or is it the "beta" in the software..?" It's reassuring that 15 is in your experience stable. I wish I could go back to 15, since the new stuff in 16 is not so important to me, but too late!

Thanks for your reply.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Chris P wrote:I'm using 16.0B.040 on a 2013 imac with 16gb ram. I realize I am pushing it by using such an old machine with its processors and graphics card.

You basically answered your own question. Be sure to read BMD's Recommended Configuration specs on their website for the minimum system you're going to need in order to run Resolve. You can run Resolve to a point on older machines with very light duty, lower-res codecs under some conditions.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

robertmanningjr

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 am

Chris P wrote:I should have been more explicit in my question and asked in addition to my other questions: "Or is it the "beta" in the software..?" It's reassuring that 15 is in your experience stable. I wish I could go back to 15, since the new stuff in 16 is not so important to me, but too late!

Thanks for your reply.

It is the beta and not your system. Resolve 15 works well on a Mac, as I have one and 16 has been horrible for me to date.

When I run 16 beta on my PC laptop, which is not as powerful as your Mac and I have no problems at all so the 16 beta needs to get up to speed with every system, but especially with Mac systems.

Be patient as they seem to work out almost all the bugs by official release, and if you start a new project, use Resolve 15.
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Chris P