How do I scroll in the timeline w/ mouse on the color page?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Terry Grant

How do I scroll in the timeline w/ mouse on the color page?

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Middle mouse button just zooms in/out, and none of the modifier keys seem to affect anything.

I do have a pretty extensive Autohotkey file set up for other programs (always running), but afaik, it shouldn't affect anything in DR aside from middle mouse click being assigned to app switching.

Currently I'm having to just grab either the horizontal or vertical scrollbar and drag l/r or u/d.
Resolve 18.0.1
Win 10 Pro 21H2
i7 12700K
RTX 2080ti
64g DDR5

Ole Kristiansen

Re: How do I scroll in the timeline w/ mouse on the color pa

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi

How do I scroll in the timeline horizontal ? I use ALT key and middle mouse button !

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm

By default the mouse wheel will scroll through the clips on Color, so your other software might well be interfering.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Terry Grant

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:By default the mouse wheel will scroll through the clips on Color, so your other software might well be interfering.

Right right - Clips section scrolls just fine, but I'm trying to navigate the timeline (which is under the Clips section) with the mouse, and the only way to do it seems to be to grab one of the scrollbars.

It does't appear to be Autohotkey either, as I just loaded a blank file and nothing changed in DR.

Hmm...
Resolve 18.0.1
Win 10 Pro 21H2
i7 12700K
RTX 2080ti
64g DDR5

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 pm

The timeline under the clips, which can be turned on or off from the top left of the Color page, doesn't scroll. You always see the full timeline. The scroll bar only affects which clips are in view.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Greg Agiannidis

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 pm

No, it doesn't!
If you move the wheel while *on* the timeline, it zooms in and out, and *then* you have to use the scroll bars to go right or left. The middle-click-and-drag from the Edit page doesn't work either.

It's a bit annoying, really.
Intel i7 13700K @3,4 Ghz-- Geforce RTX 3090 24GB -- 64GB DDR5 RAM -- 512GB OS nvMe -- 512GB nvMe scratch -- 1TB nvMe footage -- Windows 10 LTSC edition

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Oh, I've never done that. Which means I'm past my ability to help. Sorry.

But...I am left with the question - why do it that way? I always turn off the timeline myself, finding it of little to no value while coloring.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Greg Agiannidis

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Oh, that's a personal taste I guess...

Coming from premiere, I was used to seeing more of the timeline when correcting and grading, and things to come, how far I've progressed, how long I still have to go, things like that.

What's more, I usually color correct and grade two tracks of clips coming from two cameras. It helps me visually to see where I cut to which camera, so I pay attention to copy the same grade when the second, static camera comes up, since Resolve doesn't have master effects I can use. I could compound it, but, oh well...While with my handheld camera I might miss my settings here and there, while in the thick of shooting, so my exposure might not be the exact across all clips from that camera. Seeing what is what, helps me copy the correct...corection each time, otherwise I would have to be paying *really* close attention to the name of each clip as it comes up, and...meh.

What's more, I usually top it off with a third track with and adjustment clip, for minor tweaks and grading across the whole timeline.
So I start with the first video track, correct that across the whole timeline, move one track up, do those, and finally, my adjustment clip. This left-to-right-and-then-vertical approach gives me a sense of progress.

Seeing just the clips, unsettles me a bit, and in the case of the adjustment clip, Resolve shows it wherever, as clip 4 or 5, whereas I might have to correct 100 clips and then look for it. Clips only, doesn't take into account structure across tracks. I *could* flatten it all, but I'm used to keeping my different assets on different tracks.

As I said, personal taste :P
Intel i7 13700K @3,4 Ghz-- Geforce RTX 3090 24GB -- 64GB DDR5 RAM -- 512GB OS nvMe -- 512GB nvMe scratch -- 1TB nvMe footage -- Windows 10 LTSC edition

Terry Grant

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The timeline under the clips, which can be turned on or off from the top left of the Color page, doesn't scroll. You always see the full timeline. The scroll bar only affects which clips are in view.

Yeah, it totally scrolls (there are scroll bars on the right and bottom), there just doesn't seem to be a way to do it without grabbing a scrollbar with the mouse. Weird.

As for why I use it (the color timeline) - if I'm doing fx compositing and I have, say, a 9 second clip of a city skyline that has an additional 35 layers of lights & windows, atmospheric fx, planes in the sky, etc., that kind of thing can be a nightmare to navigate, especially if I'm just using the Clips section - which is completely linear left to right.

On top of that, the order of clips doesn't even always correspond to the order you added the layers in the edit window (vertically speaking). I might have a base layer on video track 1, and then all the other layers on sequentially numbered tracks, but in the Clips section, some of those layers will show up before (to the left of) that base layer on track one. It get's weird fast, but the Color window timeline (as thin and tiny as it is) as least preserves the positioning and relationship between clips as they are in the edit timeline.

Seems odd that scroll action wouldn't be the same between pages (especially since those modifier keys don't seem to do anything else when used with middle scroll on the Color page), which is why I was sort of hoping it was just something I was missing.
Resolve 18.0.1
Win 10 Pro 21H2
i7 12700K
RTX 2080ti
64g DDR5

Charles Bennett

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 am

You can scroll the clips timeline on the colour page. In Windows with the mouse pointer over the clips just use the mouse wheel to scroll.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Terry Grant

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

Charles Bennett wrote:You can scroll the clips timeline on the colour page. In Windows with the mouse pointer over the clips just use the mouse wheel to scroll.

Right, but again - I'm not talking about the Clips section, I'm trying to scroll in the timeline itself.
Resolve 18.0.1
Win 10 Pro 21H2
i7 12700K
RTX 2080ti
64g DDR5

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 1:00 am

Terry Grant wrote:
Charles Bennett wrote:Right, but again - I'm not talking about the Clips section, I'm trying to scroll in the timeline itself.

My advice is to not do that and change to Resolve's way of doing things. You can only fight programs so far in terms of "why won't it work the way my old program worked?", and at some point you have to accept the paradigm as it is rather than just clash with it. Paul Saccone's (free) book on Resolve and the book on Advanced Editing are both highly recommended, particularly to people switching over from Premiere and Avid and FCPX, and I think they'll help you get past your prior expectations and better-accept the way Resolve works.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:My advice is to not do that and change to Resolve's way of doing things. You can only fight programs so far in terms of "why won't it work the way my old program worked?"

That was my thought as well. Once I "forgot" what I knew about editing and read the Definitive Guide as if I were new to editing, things went a LOT smoother.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve