.wav files exported from Resolve not readable in Maya

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Enfinity

.wav files exported from Resolve not readable in Maya

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:23 am

Hello.

I felt like going crazy yesterday, when my colleague wanted a set of .wav files. I proceeded to cut them up and export them using Resolve 16b7. After export, the files look ok, nothing is corrupted and they work. When we want to import them to Maya, it seems Maya cannot find them and we are unable to use them correctly, so we had to use AME and run them through using source settings. Then they worked.

Seems like a problem with metadata or something, did someone else encounter this problem and found a resolution? Would save my sanity if there was a solution. :D

Cheers!
Dominik

ming_44

Re: .wav files exported from Resolve not readable in Maya

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 6:45 pm

I have the same problem... AFAIK Maya only takes .wav, so I tried different export settings of .wav, but none of them works!
The Maya that we have the problem with is on a PC.

ckinder

PostMon May 16, 2022 10:58 am

DaVinci Resolve sets the RIFF audio encoding to extensible. The extensible encoding is required for wav files containing more than 2 audio channels or additional speaker mappings. Unfortunately DaVinci Resolve uses this encoding even in the simple case of a 16bit 2 channel stereo file where a simple PCM encoding would be appropriate.
But Autodesk Maya rejects wav files with extensible encoding since Maya isn't multi channel compatible.
I would really appreciate if Blackmagic could change the audio export settings to avoid extensible encoding where it's not necessary and use PCM encoding instead.

Until then there are some workarounds:
You can rewrite the exported audio file. With ffmpeg it's as simple as
ffmpeg -i exported_audio_with_extensible_encoding.wav maya_compatible_audio_with_pcm_encoding.wav
Or you can open the exported wav file with a hex editor. Look for the format chunk marker "fmt " 0x666D7420. Four bytes later you see the two little endian bytes specifying the extensible encoding 0xFEFF. Change these bytes to 0x0100 and save the file. Then it will be accepted by Maya.

Clemens

Jim Simon

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:23 pm

ckinder wrote:...if Blackmagic could change...
There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:54 am

If Maya expects two files (left and right) and can't deal with a polyphonic WAV file, you could use a free utility like Sound Devices' Wave Agent to split stereo file into two:

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wa ... -software/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

arconz

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:43 am

ming_44 wrote:I have the same problem... AFAIK Maya only takes .wav, so I tried different export settings of .wav, but none of them works!
The Maya that we have the problem with is on a PC.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just ran into this and also use Maya. What worked for me is export from Resolve to mp4 (rename to m4a if necessary) and use an online converter (cloudconvert) to WAV.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit
Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4-3600, 2x2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, RTX 3060 12GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve