copying markers?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Lockwood

copying markers?

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 6:31 pm

not sure how to look this up in the manual so i'll ask here. is there a way to copy timeline markers and paste them into another timeline at a given frame? i do this kind of thing all the time in audio but not sure how to do it in resolve.

i'm working incrementally, building a larger piece from smaller parts. i'd like to be able to copy each of the smaller parts and paste them into my larger assembly timeline. no problem. to prep for that, though, i'd like to first take all of the markers from the smaller timelines and paste them into the assembly timeline at the appropriate frame.

thanks,
g

dariobigi

Re: copying markers?

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 12:01 am

In the media page right click on the timeline export timeline markers as an EDL. Then right click on your other timeline and import markers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 am

If you use Clip Markers, they'll Paste with the clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

George Lockwood

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 am

thanks for the info. much appreciated. two things. first, i'm running resolve on linux and, second, i'm still on v15. for what i'm doing now i'm wanting to stick with timeline markers rather than clip markers.

i'm finding that i can export the edl as you describe, dariobigi. thanks for that. i don't seem to be able to re-import them, though. if i r-click on an empty timeline i've made to receive the markers, i don't see a menu to import markers from edl. there are more options for export than for import. there are just two options for import:

aaf/edl/xml
pre-conformed edl

tried both but neither brings in the markers. is import a more recent feature than v15? does it not work for linux? am i doing it wrong?

thanks,
g

dariobigi

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 6:02 am

Media tab. Make sure you have the Timelines bin chosen above the Master bin.
Edit Tab
Activate/open the media pool window, top left-hand side.

You should see the timelines bin.

Right click on the timeline you wish to import to you, choose Import / timeline markers from EDL

Windows 10. DR 15.3

Let me know if it worked
Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

George Lockwood

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 5:45 pm

nope. my media tab comes up with two panes, one above the other. top one shows storage locations. bottom one is labeled Master and has the three bins i created. in that master level, in addition to the three bins, i have my various timelines. no 'timelines' bin, though. if i r-click on one of the timelines, i get the menu described before with just the option for 'timelines--->import--->' and the two options i described before. resolve 15.1. might the option you describe have been added since 15.1?

on my second screen there is a Metadata pane that, when i select a timeline in the Master pane, displays a label 'Media Pool' and relevant data about thge selected timeline. no timeline bin, though.

off to do more reading.

edit:
just went through the whole manual, searching, and found info on exporting markers to edl but nothing on importing them FROM the edl. starting to look like this was added later.

thanks again,
g

dariobigi

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 pm

What version of DR are you running?

Check the settings for add Timelines Bin (Not sure which page/tab in settings).

That may reveal it, unless it’s a Linux version variant, that doesn’t sound right.

If you are running version 15, I would recommend upgrading to the highest level of it. It’s been the most stable and has the most fixes. Normally I wouldn’t recommend changing in the middle of a project but because it a .2 or .3 or even a .3.1 upgrade, it will solve more problems than create. I’ve always had success with that, in the beginning of a project.
Of course export your project first, and clone your drive just in case.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

dariobigi

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 6:44 pm

There also an updated 15.3 manual on the BMD website that came out in March 2019 (I believe) Resolve does not automatically default to opening that up under the Help menu. You would have to download it and rename it and replace your Resolve manual file where it lives, so Help will access the updated manual.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

George Lockwood

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 pm

thanks, dario. i think i'll just live with this issue until i reach a break point. i'd thought i'd do an update fairly soon so this may be getting close to the time to get serious about it. and, thanks to your help i'll know what to look for once i do the upgrade!

thanks again,
g

Peter Cave

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 am

Right click on the timeline in the edit page media pool area.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 10.42.46 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 10.42.46 am.png (416.35 KiB) Viewed 10248 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

George Lockwood

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 1:13 am

thanks, peter. that's not the menu i get, though. my menu only shows the first two options in the list you show. the pictured menu has six options. mine only has two. the picture is helpful, though.

thanks again,
g

Peter Cave

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 am

George Lockwood wrote:thanks, peter. that's not the menu i get, though. my menu only shows the first two options in the list you show. the pictured menu has six options. mine only has two. the picture is helpful, though.

thanks again,
g

The timeline that you want to import markers to must be the active timeline in the record viewer.
Try creating a new empty timeline and try again. If that shows the correct options in the menu then you may have been trying to import to a timeline that was not the currently open timeline.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

George Lockwood

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 5:57 am

hmm. thanks again, peter. thought i'd done that for sure but, on trying again carefully, this time i did get the full menu. however, when i imported the marker edl, nothing happened. this time i'm quite certain i had all of the steps right, just no markers came in. ah, well. i'll upgrade sometime.

thanks,
g

evanfotis

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 pm

With latest 16.3 beta, when I import the edl markers nothing happens. No markers added on the timeline or edit index.
Am I missing something?

vegasprouser

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm

The EDL export/import only transfers locations of the Markers, but no the Name and not the Notes. So, it's a very limited functionality. Is there any other way to get markers from one timeline to another?

Peter Cave

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 am

vegasprouser wrote:The EDL export/import only transfers locations of the Markers, but no the Name and not the Notes. So, it's a very limited functionality. Is there any other way to get markers from one timeline to another?

Just tested this and can happily report that all marker information exports and imports correctly.
Notes, colours, comments and durations are all imported perfectly.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Steven Williams

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks for clarifying this. Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer clip Markers to Timline markers.
Logged long Interviews with clip markers. I eport the EDL and use the markers to make Youtube Chapters.

BUT

Only timeline markers are Exported, but Clip markers are more useful to me as they stay with the clips - important when doing multi talent dialogue.

So is there a way of copy clip markers to timeline markers?

May help appreciated.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Steven Williams wrote:a way to transfer clip Markers to Timline markers.

Manually only.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Steven Williams

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 pm

urgh.

also....

why don't timeline markers show up if you load sequence into source window.

Like Premiere....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Steven Williams wrote:why don't timeline markers show up if you load sequence into source window.
Just hasn't been added yet. It's a good Feature Request, though.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Steven Williams

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Will do Jim - I found this thread by doing exactly that. But point taken.

Generally, I am loving my time in Resolve, after decades of Adobe Hell.

While I'm here...[topic spawn part 3]

I like the Resolve's idea of having separate modes of marking, with the Clip markers appearing nested in the project panel. Fine if you are grabbing action moments from long reels, but practically, cutting down and logging soundbites from interviews is difficult, since your can zoom the source editor to position markers effectively.

How am I doing? That three feature requests :) (I know many people have asked for the last one.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 5:33 pm

We can't yet zoom into the 'timeline' of a clip in the Source Monitor, but we can display the audio at a zoomed in level. (Three dot menu.) That may help with Interview selects.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Steven Williams

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm

After a day of editing, I tried with zoomed audio, as you suggest, but markers on large clips are simply too tiny to interact with, practically.

The way I found that works is to:

with the master clip in a timeline:

1. Create io points for soundbite
2. F to match frame in Source
3. Convert I/O in Source to Markers

With step three mapped to a Key, that's sort of ok, but you keep having to switch Focus to Timeline after creating the Marker.

This gets those lovey Clip Markers, which you can drag into any timeline, or make into subclips. [good]

Problem is, this method creates unnamed clip markers, and when you logging many many soundbites [quickly] you really want to name markers at the point of creation, not after the fact.

So [sorry] feature request number xxxxxx

They need an additional command for Convert I/O Range to Marker, that opens a dialogue box for text input [Modify Marker [shift M]

Do you feel me?

That would be fantastic, and ace Premiere in one swoop.

I might see if I can get it to work with a macro?

So, combine Match Frame + Convert + Modify Marker + Switch Back to Timelime

I'll see if I can make it happen!

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 pm

For the most part it's possible to script this into a tool that would give you the desired result and behave like it's an integral part of Resolve.

You may also want to look into Simon Says. https://www.simonsays.ai/blackmagic-dav ... -extension

It's a software project I'm involved with. It uses an AI engine to transcribe all clips in a bin. Not only you get markers that span the length of the dialog line, but you also get the transcription inside the markers. Once that's in place you can search for text in the bin search box.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Steven Williams

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 am

thanks for that. looks interesting.

Is it possible to use it to add your OWN markers, without an ai transcription subscription?

I really don't need another monthly sub in my life!

Steven Williams

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 am

Often, a summarised sound bite is better for me to pick up on.

Steven Williams

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 am

Macro works like a charm. Condenses a whole bunch of messy keystrokes into a single button :-)
Originally, I added SHIFT M to allow each marker to allow text input. But it stops the remaining commands getting through. This adds marker, switches to time line, clears in out points, ready for next clip. Because its so fast, I really don't mind having to enter copy into markers after they are created.
Another macro combines select next Marker and Opens Edit box :-)

Golden!

Works in Touch Portal - So Good.

macro.png
macro.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 8351 times

Igor Riđanović wrote:For the most part it's possible to script this into a tool that would give you the desired result and behave like it's an integral part of Resolve.

You may also want to look into Simon Says. https://www.simonsays.ai/blackmagic-dav ... -extension

It's a software project I'm involved with. It uses an AI engine to transcribe all clips in a bin. Not only you get markers that span the length of the dialog line, but you also get the transcription inside the markers. Once that's in place you can search for text in the bin search box.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 pm

That's great. I use macros a lot firing them off from Wacom side keys.

Simon Says AI only inserts the actual transcribed copy into the markers. I see how that's an overkill in your case.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Sulo Kokki

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:12 pm

dariobigi wrote:In the media page right click on the timeline export timeline markers as an EDL. Then right click on your other timeline and import markers

Works like a charm on DR Studio 16.2.6 on Linux. Thanks, Dario! :)
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Constantin Gross

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:30 am

quick update for everyone since I have been using those shortcuts,
somebody wrote a script with that function.

Copy Timeline Markers to Same Clip

This copies the current markers to its corresponding clip in the media bin. Due to Resolve API limitations, it's important that the corresponding clip is in the bin that is currently opened in the Media Panel. The clip's existing markers will be deleted before the new ones are copied!

https://github.com/octimot/StoryToolkitAI

it also includes automatic transcription and a lot more.

Return to DaVinci Resolve