Sort clips by "Date taken"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BigBird106

Sort clips by "Date taken"

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 1:02 pm

I have a large number of stills and video that I would like to have sorted by the date and time the clip was created.

But when I copied the clips from my cameras to my PC, the file property called "Date created" was set to the time the copy was created on my PC. This means I can't use that field in Davinci Resolve to sort the clips.

There is another file property called "Date taken" which is part of the metadata for the clip, but I don't see any way for Davinci Resolve to access or sort using that field.

I think there are two options to solve this problem, however I haven't found a solution for either:

1) The ideal solution is for Davinci Resolve to import the metadata called "Date taken" and then allow me to sort on this field. But I don't see that field listed in Davinci Resolve so I can't use it to sort the clips.

2) Use another program to copy the contents of "Date taken" to "Date created" which Davinci Resolve could use to sort my clips. But I haven't found a program (preferably one that could handle a large number of files in one go) to copy the "Date taken" field contents to the "Date created" field in the metadata.

Are there any other solutions?

I'm using Davinci Resolve Version 16.0.0.044 on Windows 10.

Thanks,
Doug

Drakulica

Re: Sort clips by "Date taken"

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm

BigBird106 wrote:I have a large number of stills and video that I would like to have sorted by the date and time the clip was created.

But when I copied the clips from my cameras to my PC, the file property called "Date created" was set to the time the copy was created on my PC. This means I can't use that field in Davinci Resolve to sort the clips.

There is another file property called "Date taken" which is part of the metadata for the clip, but I don't see any way for Davinci Resolve to access or sort using that field.

I think there are two options to solve this problem, however I haven't found a solution for either:

1) The ideal solution is for Davinci Resolve to import the metadata called "Date taken" and then allow me to sort on this field. But I don't see that field listed in Davinci Resolve so I can't use it to sort the clips.

2) Use another program to copy the contents of "Date taken" to "Date created" which Davinci Resolve could use to sort my clips. But I haven't found a program (preferably one that could handle a large number of files in one go) to copy the "Date taken" field contents to the "Date created" field in the metadata.

Are there any other solutions?

I'm using Davinci Resolve Version 16.0.0.044 on Windows 10.

Thanks,
Doug

Same problem here. Is looks like a bug or something because in Bin Date created use information from date modified

barryplace

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Doug,

I, too, have been frustrated by this programming oversight. Here's my workaround for time-sorting multiple stills:

1. Import photos into Lightroom, or similar software
2. Sort photos by Capture Time
3. Export all the photos using the following file name format: Shoot_Name (x of y).

For example, say you have 83 photos in a wedding shoot. If you call the project "Wedding", then the resulting file names would be:
Wedding (1 of 83)
Wedding (2 of 83)
Wedding (3 of 83)
and so on.

In this way the file names are in ascending chronological order. In Davinci Resolve, if you sort by file name, you will be sorting by Date Taken. This will not be of any help if you need to know the absolute date taken.

Patrick

Brad Hurley

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:02 pm

I would think this is something you can set up in the camera itself, to the extent you can control how it generates filenames. In the Blackmagic Design cameras, for example, the file name has the date and shot number built into the file name.

See screen shot for example:

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 4.01.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 4.01.28 PM.png (18.21 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

cyberdoc

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 4:04 pm

I stumble on this one too, very annoying. Is there a workaround?

AlexMusin

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:17 pm

I am shocked that a big problem has not been fixed for years. I can't do Filat on the time of creating files from different cameras and this makes editing very difficult.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.37.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.37.14 PM.png (324.18 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

Drakulica

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 12:32 pm

AlexMusin wrote:I am shocked that a big problem has not been fixed for years. I can't do Filat on the time of creating files from different cameras and this makes editing very difficult.

Still not fixed

Milosz Wozaczynski

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 pm

I had the same issue with clips from DJI Action cam. Weirdly though clips from gopro or sony have no issue with that. Anyways the only workaround I found is to use BulkFileChanger and copy the time from "media files - item date" and apply it to modification date. Works like a charm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (75.55 KiB) Viewed 2310 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve