Audio Tutorials

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tbaker

Re: Audio Tutorials

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 5:52 am

Australian Image wrote:Does anyone know of any online tutorials that explain the use of features such as EQ, Dynamics etc that are presented in an easy to understand way? I'm trying to get my head around when to use them, how to use them and what all the adjustments mean and do.

I've been trying the various Fairlight adjustments available in the Mixer, but all I'm quite honestly doing is poking around aimlessly. I haven't had any real luck finding any quality ones YouTube, all have been quite atrocious. It doesn't even need to be Resolve based, as I'm after the principles of what each tool does, though Resolve based would be ideal.

There are some good basics here on gearslutz.
gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:08 am

Dan Worrall has produced several tutorials on the basics of Equalisation, Compression, and Reverb - these are very music focused and all demonstrated with a 3rd party plugin option, but the basic principles still apply.

Beginner's Guide to Equalisation:

Beginner's Guide to Compression:

Beginner's Guide to Reverb

Brad Hurley

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 am

Two other good resources are:

1. Jay Rose's two books, Producing Great Sound for Film and Digital Video, and Audio Postproduction for Film and Video. See http://www.jayrose.com/book/index.html. I have both books and there's quite a bit of overlap between them; if you only get one I'd suggest getting the first one because it also covers preproduction and getting good sound in the field or on set. Both books begin with a very useful introduction to the physics of sound, which will give you a solid understanding. Highly recommended.

2. Ripple Training just came out with a good, US $30 video introduction to audio post tools like EQ and compression; I think the only advantage of these over Dan Worrall's (which are excellent) is that they are specific to video rather than music. The disadvantage is that they are focused on the audio post tools in Final Cut Pro X, which are for the most part duplicated from Logic. However, the introductions and demos are generic enough that you'd be able to apply the same principles and workflows to Fairlight. See here: https://www.rippletraining.com/products ... -in-fcp-x/
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Brad Hurley

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 11:48 am

Curtis Judd has some good tutorials at https://school.learnlightandsound.com/

One of them is on Fairlight, although it doesn't go into a lot of detail on EQ, compression, etc., it's more about the workflow of bringing location sound into Fairlight and editing it.

Ripple Training is working on new tutorials specifically for Fairlight but I don't know when those will be ready. Did you see the two-part training video on Fairlight that Mary Plummer did for Blackmagic Design? It's available in the training section of the Davinci Resolve website and it's free.

Did you watch the Dan Worrall tutorials all the way through? My recollection is that he started by showing you how it was done on an analogue console but then showed how much more flexibility and fine-grained control you have in the digital realm, using the Fabfilter plugins as examples.

What I'd love to see is an online tutorial from Reynaud Venter. ;) As far as I can tell, he has more real-world practical experience using Fairlight in DaVinci Resolve than anyone else on the planet. He has shared a lot of his knowledge here in responses to questions posted to the forum, but it would be useful to have it in one place.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve