What Happens if I delete the CacheClip Folder?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

daleaceron

What Happens if I delete the CacheClip Folder?

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 2:43 am

I'm new at DR and have quickly found that my storage space is practically doubling!

I went searching in my File Explorer and noticed that the majority of the files are in a folder called: CacheClip.

1) What are these files?
2) Are they necessary?
3) What would happen if I delete the entire folder?

I clicked on Delete Optimize Media and Delete Render Cache (All) from the Playback Menu but that didn't seem to help.

Currently I still have Projects that I need to edit and Deliver so I am afraid that if I delete everything, I will lose access to my Projects.

Thanks in advance!
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed Memory: 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

Jim Simon

Re: What Happens if I delete the CacheClip Folder?

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 3:24 am

To the best of my knowledge, those are all files which can be rebuilt by Resolve. They're not critical.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dan Sherman

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 am

If memory serves that's where optimized media, timeline thumbnails, and render cache is stored. If you delete it, Resolve will just regenerate it.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

John Paines

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Assuming you have no working caches (you say you deleted everything from the timeline?), the typical cacheclip folder has large numbers of empty folders within empty folders, orphaned caches and audio support files.

The audio stuff appears to regenerate -- you may see a brief pause when an audio waveform rebuilds, for example.

It would be interesting to hear the official line on this one, but deleting this folder won't affect your projects. Projects are stored in a database, separate from the cacheclip folder. You can, for example, move a project to another system with just the media and the project file. You don't need to take the cacheclip folder.

daleaceron

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 1:59 am

So with much hesitation, I hit the delete button. But I was running out of space, so I had to.
Turns out, the CacheClip is being regenerated by DR and everything is ok!

Thanks for the help!
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed Memory: 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

Dermot Shane

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:21 am

daleaceron wrote: I clicked on Delete Optimize Media and Delete Render Cache (All) from the Playback Menu but that didn't seem to help.

it takes a very long time to do something, if you look at taskmangler you will see the drive with the caches running at 100% long after Resolve has told you it's done deleting the caches it's now deleteing

still better than a few years ago (v11) when it would hold the whole machine hostage untill it was done, now it sends you back to a working state while it deletes away in the bg

only downside is you have to leave Resolve open, and not count on much in the way of playback from that disk for the next while, but if stopping on a frame and gradeing, it's pretty transparent

and you will have to watch taskmangler to know when it's done, it will not tell you

TV Director

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 4:58 pm

Windows 10. 15 gigs RAM. DaVinci 17.3 - build 14

I have been working on a longform video for two years now - my cache clips folder is 1.6 T big! What happens if I delete these files? Any chance at all of affecting my project?

bounceHouse

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 8:04 pm

@TVDirector, if the source content are not outrageously large, you could export a full project archive (from project manager, right click on project -> Export Project Archive...) somewhere to feel like you have tucked away your project content. And even backup your Resolve database, which is probably a good idea anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=106267

After you remove the ancient cache and reopen your project, expect it to take a while to rebuild whatever current cache entries DR should be making use of...
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 29, 2022 8:44 pm

TV Director wrote:Any chance at all of affecting my project?
No.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter McLennan

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 8:16 pm

bounceHouse wrote:After you remove the ancient cache and reopen your project, expect it to take a while to rebuild whatever current cache entries DR should be making use of...

I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there any way of estimating how long this will take?

I imagine the number and size of projects plays a significant part, but are we talking minutes? Hours? Days?

Rendering "Optimized Media" seems to be a bottleneck - are those automatically regenerated? Does the user have any control of what cache items are regenerated?

While regeneration is happening, what are the effects on system performance?
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Tekkerue

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 11:20 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:is there any way of estimating how long this will take?

I don't think so. It really depends on how big your project is, how intensive your effects are, and how powerful your system is. I've already encountered extremely intense effects that I am simply avoiding until I get a good graphics card. I'd likely be looking at hours (at least) of caching if I tried to use these effects regularly.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 am

At least, caching is happening in the background and stops when you work in DR, while rendering optimised media is blocking DR.
One of the weaker spots of DR, other NLEs, Final Cut Pro X for example, work on all of such processes in the background, even final render.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 3:03 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:Rendering "Optimized Media" seems to be a bottleneck - are those automatically regenerated?
No, you have to re-create those manually...and wait for them to be created before you work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve