Dual Screen Bug(?) - slow Audio/Video Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EuSo87

Dual Screen Bug(?) - slow Audio/Video Playback

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm

hi guys,

i just installed Davinci Resolve 16 and run into a sound issue/bug.
When i playback my timeline in Dual Screen Mode enabled, i get laggy/choppy Audio (i think the whole playback is slowed down like i have an old PC). The System cannot keep up with my FPS 59,59. My CPU is on 13% and my GPU on 40% load.
When i deactivate Dual Screen Mode everything works just fine. Even Generating optimized Media in DNX SQ doesn't help.

I just tested this with Resolve 15 and there is no such issue. This has to be a bug cause it was fine with Resolve 15. Playback was always on 59 Fps avg.

I am editing 2,7k Material with an h.264 codec. I also activated / deactivated GPU compute etc, because that is the main difference between Resolve 15 & 16 (since 16 there is hw acceleration with AMD)

My System:
AMD Ryzen 3700x
16GB Ram DDR 4 3000Mhz
AMD Vega 56 8gb
Win 10 Pro
Everything updated (Windows/Chipset/Display)

i hope someone can help me with this. Thank you guys

EuSo87

Re: Dual Screen Bug(?) - slow Audio/Video Playback

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 pm

push

Wavefront

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Same here with Resolve 17.1, using second monitor @ 1920x1080 via Thunderbolt. Extremely choppy when editing 1080p 30fps H264 footage (regardless if second monitor is selected as "Primary" or not). Excellent performance when disabling the second monitor.
Resolve 17.4.6 / macOS Monterey 12.4 / iMac 5K 27 Late 2015 4GHz Quad i7, 24gb RAM, Radeon R9 M395 2gb / Database on internal SSD, media on external Thunderbay 4 RAID.

tux_42

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:43 pm

Similar here with Resolve 17.1.1 under Linux on an Intel i7-8700k and Nvidia Quadro P2000 with h264 in 1080p50 and a single track in the timeline with no effects.
The video playback performance degrades considerably to an unacceptable level when enabling either Dual Screen or Video Clean Feed or even more if enabling both and using Resolve on three monitors.
Monitors are connected via DisplayPort, resolution is 1920x1080 in each case. I tried as well with two 1920x1200 monitors, behavior is the same.

As reported by Marcus, this happens while all CPU and GPU usage statistics remain in the 10-20% regime.
However, in my case only video stutters, audio playback remains smooth.

With Resolve only on a single monitor, playback is acceptable as it is almost non-stop smooth and shows only very occasionally micro-lags.
Note that the playback-performance is perfect when having Resolve on a single monitor (i.e. enabling neither Dual Screen nor Video Clean Feed) and going to Cinema Viewer Mode.

WeAreASambavam

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 3:16 pm

Up Up.. did anyone managed to find a fix for this? Is it something to do with thunderbolt or HDMI cables? This is really frustrating. For me, audio clips are showing problems and at times videos playback at <10 fps. Very choppy. Please help.
Team We Are A Sambavam
A Bunch of movie buffs from Singapore
www.weareasambavam.info

JoramboMoves-YouTube

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 pm

+1
I am having the same problems in 2022 despite very strong hardware. Playback on one screen is fine, yet in dual screen mode the playback issues occur almost 100% of the time. And enabling the »Show All Video Frames«-option didn’t help matters, really, as then playback on the second screen was smooth, but at half speed so I had to turn the sound of.
Please, BMD, could you kindly look after this bug? It takes a lot out of the dual screen option, and as I understood in this thread it is not only affecting the free version?!

Charles Bennett

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 pm

I would not regard this as a bug as I've run Resolve, both Free and Studio, on dual monitors for the last five years without problems. I take it you have both monitors connected to your GPU?
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

worldpoop

PostThu Jul 13, 2023 1:27 am

2023, encountering the same bug here on Davinci 18.1.4. One way around it for me is to disconnect the second display, then launch Davinci fully into the project, then reconnect the second display. Only a partial solution, as the dual monitor option is greyed out this time, but that's okay for me as I simply put the waveform or other utilities on the second display. Given Davinci performs like a champ if it "thinks" that there is not second monitor running and using resources, the evidence then is that the problem is within Davinci and not the system or peripherals.

UPDATE -- of note and 'tis weird: The smooth playback only happens on the tab that's active when reconnecting the monitor after launch. For instance, if I'm in the color tab, its viewer will be smooth, but the edit and fairlight viewers not -- even if I [i]return to the color tab later in the same session (it still is smooth)[/i]. (This behavior is ever more like a bug, right?)

So again, the only way I can get Davinci to perform correctly while a second monitor is connected is to launch Davinci with the monitor temporarily disconnected during launch.....

FYI & Thank you! :)

iMac Pro Monterey | 2x Radion Vega 16+8 | 64gb | 16 core

Return to DaVinci Resolve