fixing flicker on 4K drone footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lunatech

fixing flicker on 4K drone footage

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello:

I have a lot of 4K DJI footage and the grass often shimmers and wiggles.
I've tried Flicker Free Plug-in but Resolve won't allow me to Render the clips.
Any suggestions for Resolve to do the correction?

JeffreyWalther

Re: fixing flicker on 4K drone footage

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Maybe try RE:Vision Effects DEFlicker.
DaVinci Resolve Studio V18
Fusion V18
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12 GB

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am

Perhaps try the Resolve deflicker OFX plugin?

You should detail your system and Resolve version if you want more help.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Paul Willis

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 am

Try using blur but set it to vertical only using H/V sliders on the Blur page. You may need to isolate this to the areas that are the worst by using power windows.

Always advise drone operators to turn the sharpness right down before they shoot.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Uli Plank

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Actually, it is a different kind of flicker than the one you can fix with that filter. It comes from a lot of detail and massive GOP-compression, you can see that it pulses with the length of GOP used. The best filter fore that I know of is a function in the new Neatvideo 5. They even have a video on their site explains the problem and the solution. Among other points, you need to identify the I-frame and use that as the noise reference, which Resolve cant do. BTW, they have a specific version for Resolve now, which is cheaper than the OFX version. So, give it a try!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jean Claude

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Uli Plank wrote:... The best filter fore that I know of is a function in the new Neatvideo 5. They even have a video on their site explains the problem and the solution.... So, give it a try!

I admit that the use of the blue screen to refine its settings is a model of its kind.
I'm hoping that someday the same kind of functionality will be in Davinci Resolve. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am

For ordinary flicker you may need both, BTW.

I had a slo-mo clip with really bad flicker; it was shot with the wrong speed and exposure under strong LEDs. Resolve's Deflicker was completely filtering it out if applied twice, but left some strange pulsation on high-contrast areas, nearly like rhythmic deformations. Neatvideo alone at the highest setting produced no such artefacts but left some flicker.
Using NV in the first node and Deflicker in another one got completely rid of the problem!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 1:16 am

This issue has been plaguing me on almost every project I've worked on with drone footage for the past few months. I don't really know anything about the settings on these drone cameras, but is there a way to dial in tighter GOP intervals (or even all I-Frames) when recording drone footage?

If there's a higher quality setting that I can advise drone operators to use when shooting footage for the productions I work on, that'd be great info to pass along to them.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Andy Mees

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 am

Maybe have the drone operators experiment with using a slower shutter speed, depending on what they're shooting/conditions ... that should help eliminate fine detail moire / flicker whilst retaining a natural image ... not sure that shutter speed is a setting that you can manually control on a drone/action cam, but you can certainly add a neutral density filter to limit the light entering the lens (which the camera should then compensate for automatically with a slower shutter). Think DJI sell direct them for their line of drones.

Disclaimer: I'm just an editor, not a camera person / drone operator.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve