No Video Playback/Preview in Resolve 16 (Free Version)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

subrewulf

Re: No Video Playback/Preview in Resolve 16 (Free Version)

PostWed May 26, 2021 11:44 am

Dear All,
I'm having the same issue - no preview and no video clip in Edit
I'm on Debian 11, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660 Super with 460.73.01-1 drivers.
Just updated to Resolve 17.2 from 17.1.1. I tried 16.2. before. Same issue with all the versions. Tried Resolve installer as well as makeresolvdeb - same results.

I know Debian is not supported but some people were able to get it working. I wanted to attach logs, but I'm not sure which ones and where to find them. I'm quite new with Resolve..
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

arsonista

PostFri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Hello!
I'm having the same problem, but I'm on a mac laptop on Mac Os Catalina;

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Since I installed 17.2 - I can't preview any videofiles anymore. Since your links are mostly driver for Windows related I don't know what to do. 16,2 worked great.

Here is my log attached:

All the best!

Arsonista
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210528-151920.zip
(131.19 KiB) Downloaded 903 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 28, 2021 3:33 pm

I don't see anything obvious in the logs to explain what you describe happening.

Are you sure it's all files?

On the Edit page, if you add a color bar generator onto the timeline, and make it a compound clip, do you see that on the Color page viewer? If so, it would seem that the basic processing is working, and your issue may be with specific media types.

If the color bar generator turned into a compound clip is not showing up on the Color page viewer, then we'll need to dig deeper. But one thing to try in that scenario, would be to install 17.1.1 and see what it does. You can install 17.1.1 over top of 17.2 with no issue. You don't need to uninstall 17.2 first. Just run the 17.1.1 Studio installer, and see what that does.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

arsonista

PostFri May 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi Dwaine
I tried on 7.2 and then reinstalled 7.11 - it doesn't work with the compound clip in both versions. Nothing shows up in the viewer, neither in the edit nor in the color. I can't go down to 16, because I didn't backup my database before upgrading. Any ideas what to do? Can I trash everything and not lose the database?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

J

hiphopchick254

PostFri May 28, 2021 8:00 pm

This my first time ever posting on this type of thing, but I went through almost all of the replies and it seems that I'm having the same issue. I'm receiving GPU error code -1...every time I try to adjust the scope/wheels on the color page. I've tried changing the open CL and GPU memory in the preferences menu and everything. My Intel HD Graphics card is updated and everything. The problem started once I updated to Davinci Resolve 17, since I've updated to the most recent version (17.2) and the problem is still occurring. The error won't go away.

Here's my Google Driver link to the files that I hope would help. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

cskdechets

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:54 pm

I have the same issue but am using free 17.2. My Windows 10 computer says that my Graphics driver is the most updated (Intel Graphics Driver 530, Version: 22.20.16.4749). How do I figure out which driver I need and where to get it?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 pm

@Jan: Send a log with 17.1.1 installed. Grab the log after a compound clipped generator fails to show up on the Viewer.

Also send a Mac System Information .spx file. You can generate that by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left, then About This Mac, then System Report. Then in the System Information menus at the top, select File - Save. That will create the .spx file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:59 pm

@Amber: The Intel Graphics 4400 iGPU in your system is not adequate to run Resolve 17.

It might work with a Resolve version earlier than 16.2.7, except for the fact that the 6GB of system memory is also not adequate to run Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 12:00 am

@Cinnamon:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

hiphopchick254

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 12:46 am

@Dwaine Do I need to buy a new laptop or is there a way that I can fix the issue?

For example, would I be able to download or buy a new driver or clear some memory space?

Thank you so much for your help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 am

You would need a new laptop to run Resolve 17.

It appears you could upgrade the system RAM up to 16GB. That would require replacing the 2 current RAM SODIMs. If you did that, it MIGHT run Resolve 16.2.6 or earlier. But I'm not sure it would be worth the expense for a maybe proposition.

Finally, even if it did run Resolve 16, the iGPU only has 1.8GB of VRAM, which is below our recommended minimum of 2GB. And even with 2GB, that's not enough to do anything more than basic HD grading.

Bottom line: Not worth trying to run Resolve on that system.
Dwaine Maggart

Petehikers

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:07 am

I had the same problem on my macbook pro: I am using two displays, one is connected via a usb-hdmi adapter from displaylink. When I connect the adapter, the viewer windows are greyed out. When I disconnect the adapter and use only my hdmi monitor and restart resolve, everything works again.

lkrueger

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 am

Quick answer from me:

I now had the same problem for two days, it came out of nowhere and after trying driver- and windows-updates I found a solution that worked well for me:

try disabling your graphics card in your device manager. Afterwards, enabling it again and see if it works now.

It's a far too easy solution, but since it worked for me I thought I'd post it here. Probably you will get your resolve working that way, too :)

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 am

IMHO, DR has difficulties with additional USB devices other than storage or the SE (audio in particular).
Maybe this extends to video too?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Radar2668

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 10:51 am

Hi,

I have kind of similar issue, but with Resolve Studio 18.
I'm working on a Laptop on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS with Intel Core i7-1185G7 and Mesa Intel Xe Graphics.
Also, I'm using Wayland.

So, I don't see preview of the file and nothing on the timeline.
Screenshot from 2023-01-08 23-47-59.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-08 23-47-59.png (96.75 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

These are my memory and GPU settings.
Screenshot from 2023-01-08 23-49-27.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-08 23-49-27.png (63.44 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

I'm able to play all these files with VLC without any issues.

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 12:46 am

To my knowledge, Resolve on Linux does not support Intel iGPUs.

I'm surprised it's not complaining about that GPU.

But perhaps something has changed with the latest Resolve version and Intel Xe Graphics.

Are you using the free version of Resolve or the Studio version? Free version does not support H.264/H.265 files (and others) on Linux. If you try a DPX or ProRes file, does that work?
Dwaine Maggart

Radar2668

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 3:45 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I'm surprised it's not complaining about that GPU.

But perhaps something has changed with the latest Resolve version and Intel Xe Graphics.

It was complaining, and I wasn't able to run it, but after installing OpenCL it works, somehow.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Are you using the free version of Resolve or the Studio version? Free version does not support H.264/H.265 files (and others) on Linux. If you try a DPX or ProRes file, does that work?

I'm using Studio version. So, I assume it should support these files.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm

I've verified that Intel GPU's are still not supported on Linux, which explains why it's not working.
Dwaine Maggart

Evgeni_T

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 6:08 am

Hello Dwaine,

I hope for your help.

I have a normal PC with Win 11 Pro, i5-12400F, 32GB RAM and Radeon RX6600 8GB.

Unfortunately, DaVinci Resolve 18.5 does not show me any preview images or any other image material, neither from the video nor from the photo.

Please help.

my_sys_nfo.zip
My system parameter
(110.76 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

DaVinci.jpg
Screenshot
DaVinci.jpg (198.48 KiB) Viewed 791 times

DaVinci_2.jpg
Screenshot perf
DaVinci_2.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 791 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 4:38 pm

The NFO file is helpful, but we also need a Resolve diagnostics log file which you can generate from the Resolve Help menu.

I see you have a "VirtualMonitor Device" display adapter configured. Those have caused issues in the past.

Open Windows Device Manager, select the Display Adapters area, then right click the VirtualMonitor Device and select Disable. Does that help the Resolve issue?
Dwaine Maggart

Evgeni_T

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 5:30 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I see you have a "VirtualMonitor Device" display adapter configured. Those have caused issues in the past.

Open Windows Device Manager, select the Display Adapters area, then right click the VirtualMonitor Device and select Disable. Does that help the Resolve issue?

Hello Dwaine,

many thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately I can't understand which "VirtualMonitor Device" you mean. A single monitor device is specified in my device manager, which is AMD Radeon RX6600 and a single generic monitor as the display. So no "VirtualMonitor Device" to be seen anywhere. Or maybe I misunderstood something and am looking in the wrong place?
Here is the screenshot from my device manager. (Unfortunately in German, because I have a German Windows version.)
DaVinci_3.jpg
device manager
DaVinci_3.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 759 times

So I started DaVinci Resolve to create the diagnostics log and suddenly I can't believe my eyes anymore... without having changed anything in the system configuration, everything suddenly works as it should. I'm speechless and don't know why the hell this is working now. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program three times yesterday. I've rebooted the computer at least five or six times. I've tried everything and it didn't work. And today it suddenly healed itself.
DaVinci_4.jpg
DaVinci_4.jpg (488.88 KiB) Viewed 759 times

So here is the current Diagnostics Log. But now everything works. For whatever reason. I just hope that tomorrow it doesn't go back to the previous state and stop working.
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230818-190825.zip
(189.34 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Best regards and many thanks

Evgeni Tcherkasski

smunaut

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 5:01 pm

One thing to know is resolve won't actually display anything until all the shaders are compiled. And this can take a while ... like 10 min or so for me. (but different GPU and system ... can vary).

Everytime you re-install / change driver /... it most likely invalidates the cache and they need to be rebuilt. Also interrupting the process (like shutting down resolve before it's down) seems to cancel it all together.

You can usually see it in CPU monitor with resolve taking 100% of 1 core when building all that stuff in the background, so I leave it running and when I see the cpu usage is down, then I shutdown and restart resolve and things work.

Just my 2 ct.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 12:06 pm

smunaut wrote:One thing to know is resolve won't actually display anything until all the shaders are compiled. And this can take a while ... like 10 min or so for me. (but different GPU and system ... can vary).

Everytime you re-install / change driver /... it most likely invalidates the cache and they need to be rebuilt. Also interrupting the process (like shutting down resolve before it's down) seems to cancel it all together.

You can usually see it in CPU monitor with resolve taking 100% of 1 core when building all that stuff in the background, so I leave it running and when I see the cpu usage is down, then I shutdown and restart resolve and things work.

Just my 2 ct.

Interesting. I've never heard of this before (or have forgotten, lol). Thx.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve