m4a Audio files refuse to work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DanielMontilla

m4a Audio files refuse to work

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm new to davinci resolve so please bare with me.

I imported some music in the form of a m4a file. The file seems to empty even before adding into media pool (the thumbnail doesn't show any waves and sound doesn't play when I press space bar).

I have other audio files that work absolutely fine (mp3) which means that it's resolve not recognizing the file rather than a hardware issue. I can listen to the song in other external programs and other m4a files also do not work.

I can covert the files into a more suitable format (what you guys recommend?) but I'd rather not since I've got around 100+ audio files I plan on using with in this specific project.

Also, I downloaded said m4a file from youtube using youtube-dl (idk maybe this'll help)

John Paines

Re: m4a Audio files refuse to work

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Try renaming one of the files to an "mp4" extension instead of m4a, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you'll have to convert the files to another format. .wav would be the obvious choice.

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm

My preference is for using 24 bit 48 kHz .wav files. They work extremely well in most any professional software. You can search around to find a convertor to process the files in a batch. Audacity, for example, may be suitable.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ashrali

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 am

Jim Simon wrote:My preference is for using 24 bit 48 kHz .wav files. They work extremely well in most any professional software. You can search around to find a convertor to process the files in a batch. Audacity, for example, may be suitable.

YOU are right, but I'm using AMusicSoft Apple Music Converter, it provides batch converting and works really well. maybe you wan try it

Blyssee

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 am

Newbie here.you can try Tunelf Audio Converter to convert M4A to MP3, but if you need the better audio I suggest set the output format as WAV and FLAC .

Amy-Louise

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 pm

John Paines wrote:Try renaming one of the files to an "mp4" extension instead of m4a, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you'll have to convert the files to another format. .wav would be the obvious choice.

I recommend converting right away. Renaming will do nothing in your case. Converting the file from m4a to wav will work. If you have any of premium programs, that would e great. If you don't, try this online converter: https://www.converter365.com/audio-converter/m4a/m4a-to-wav

Return to DaVinci Resolve