Timeline Curve Editor is useless

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

darkswordsman

Re: Timeline Curve Editor is useless

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 pm

It's been two years and this very basic feature doesn't exist?

I was really enjoying this as a replacement for Premiere, especially since it's very performant even with H264 clips and as far as I can see has no bugs, but lack of basic features? Wow. I guess free software always has it's downsides.

im.thatoneguy

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 10:17 pm

+1 :roll:

I can AI key someone's eyes but I can't tweak a pan and scan curve.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 am

Come on, features trump functionality around here sometimes :-)
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

maik_kel

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Resolve and bought the studio version. i'll never go back to Adobe.

But this is just a disgrace, to just ignore such an important feature for years, it kind of makes me angry. And doing the animation in Fusion is VERY annoying because i have different aspect ratios.

If these curves were useful, it would make our lives so much easier.

agrogers

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 am

I'm a novice user and have hit this problem already. Hard to understand why this is hard to fix. But it is free for me so i can't complain too much. But yes, this key frame window is useless to me at the moment.

shadewind

PostSun Aug 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Please Blackmagic, give us an update on this. The silence is deafening.

RCModelReviews

PostSun Aug 15, 2021 4:19 pm

shadewind wrote:Please Blackmagic, give us an update on this. The silence is deafening.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until they're done adding "new features" that nobody's asked for before they address the critical basics that have been requested for eons [only half tongue-in-mouth].

Ah, but you have to love the "boring detector" eh? :-)
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Convolva

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 3:32 pm

BMD please look into this, this would be quite a boost to workflow if fixed.
- DR Free, 17.4.4 Build 7 | Windows 10.0.18363 Pro
- Ryzen 7 1700 Eight Core@3GHz
- 32 GBs 3200 MHz DDR4 (RAM)
- Sapphire Pulse AMD 5700 XT, 8 GB | Driver 20.4.2
- Cache: 512 GB NVMe SSD | Project: 1 TB HDD@7200 RPM

Robert Arnold

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 pm

Just got to struggle with this stupid bug with a client in the room. How do you explain to a client that something an editor can easily do in Premiere can't be done (in any efficient way) in the online suite?

Peter McLennan

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 3:34 am

I'll add my voice to the clamour. The Edit Page animation function is pretty well useless if you want smooth stops and starts. Every other NLE seems able to do this. Why not Resolve?
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Philip B

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 am

Totally agree that keyframe and especially bezier editing in the Edit page needs to be improved. At the very least, bezier handles should allow dragging only horizontally or vertically (perhaps via the shift key). Being able to zoom in/out the bezier window vertically would also help, tremendously.

Lastly, a sensible way of easing zooms together with position changes would be unbelievably valuable in order to emulate camera movements.
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 + 18.1.4
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.2861)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - R545 U2 (546.01) Enterprise NFB
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

The Bread Pirate

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 6:21 pm

I made an account to join the chorus of complaints. This missing feature drives me crazy! :shock:

DelivertoViewers

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:18 pm

It is the most important missing feature that will keep me editing in Premiere until finishing work begins. The ability to control moves on photos and other archival material is central to so many documentary filmmakers. The current scheme of poor controls in the Edit page and uselessly complicated ways of doing it in Fusion mean that Resolve is out of the picture for me and for most of my documentary peers during the long months of process through assembly, rough cut and fine cut.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 pm

It's disappointing that BMD doesn't comment on threads like this. We're not dogpiling on BMD, but how else can we impress upon them that a particular feature should get more attention?

I'd like to hear from BMD "Yes, we are aware of the limited functionality of the current keyframe editor on both the edit page and color page and we have added this to the list of future improvements...".

Then the discussion would become one of prioritizing this future improvement. Thus far I'm not convinced this is even on their radar (I may be mistaken and would love to be corrected).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Philip B

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Especially since the only alternative - Fusion - comes with severe workflow/performance drawbacks, especially for very long clips, where even on really powerful machines, you have to keep rendering at every step(!) just to get an idea of your possible results.
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 + 18.1.4
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.2861)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - R545 U2 (546.01) Enterprise NFB
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

Abdurahman Tumgaev

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 am

+1
Work that BM has been doing is amazing. I am just wondering, how this flew under the radar, or was just plain ignored for the longest of time? There has to be done something about this.

Lucas87

PostSun May 07, 2023 6:28 am

BMD = Adobe. PS: I can't wait for Davinci Resolve 53, where this will finally be fixed.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun May 07, 2023 8:39 am

Lucas87 wrote:BMD = Adobe. PS: I can't wait for Davinci Resolve 53, where this will finally be fixed.
Ehm are sure? I use (also) adobe product from 1995, i teach them (I’m ACT of many of them) I can assure to you that blackmagic is far far away from Adobe products and its fault.

Some example that from 22 years is a unsolved problem?
After Effects and its expression problem where localisation give you error, and main English reference are in software, they never solve it.

Ae performance and 3d, you can load 3d obj from cs4 (near twenty years ago) and you lock a computer with stupid 6 poly obj when c4d mode with cineware allow me to move million scene internally to Ae viewport (don’t talk about new beta mercury 3d that is slow and low realist against old fusion 6 engine of 1998).

Premiere at today not work at full 32 bit, you should force to calculate high bit depth to manage video over 8bit in sequence preview and rendering but often not that, and clip high low infos you should do many workaround to recover datas. Often you should apply a first lumetri to move in 32 bit calculation a dn second lumetri to correct, you could be amazed of difference in highlights recover.

Premiere had a bug of 8bit clip that if you use in same sequence some plugin that work 8bit only cap all sequence calculation to 8bit also if in render you set up to high bit depth.

Premiere had a bug that if you put a not accelerated effects in a clip you should put like last effects or disable all acceleration of previous fx.
To have motion blur on clip animation you should add transform plugin, but… with title you not leave it where premiere put it, but you should love upper or instead to add motion blur work like a mask slider.
When you work with newer title you could 4 different kind of transform way ( duplicate of duplicate of feature) instead to add a simple option to add or not motion blur or vectorial transform, all because code of premiere is 90’ style and obviously they not rewrite it, only patch it in old old core.

In 2023 you cannot di speed ramp with audio video but you loose audio sinc.

Premiere is a worst tool for animation, you can do two three key frame, but more is a nightmare, they develop the connection with after exactly to avoid you to use premiere for animation. You ask me why?
Premiere not have a good space where edit curve, it had a velocity only curve, data curve is small and uncomfortable to edit, you cannot edit more key frame at same time, changing animation duration is manual operation key by where after effects is a click, you cannot filter values to see and animate confortable, timeline curve are nice for audio, but for other parameters are one at time against after effects.

The best is do a rough animation in premiere to have right timing for audio video, import sequence in after, convert in ae project, do with right tool the animation work in a fine mode, then go out and export a premiere project or if you prefer use dinamic link of sequence and go back to premiere.

A do medical documentary with adobe tool from 1997, I know very well many tools (someone like transform plugin is from my continuous request of motion blur in premiere to avoid to go out and back from to Ae), the good and the weak point, then please don’t tell that Blackmagic Design = Adobe, lucky we are far far away

I send every month a report of bug to adobe about premiere and after under Mac and under win, and there are bug that are present from decades.

Blackmagic do real Blackmagic with their software (davinci, fusion a bit less).
I’m agree with you that edit page is weak for animation, and fusion is too much convoluted, they should do like did with edit page, with cut page: add an additional animation tab parallel to fusion for simple animation, with a lots of behaviours like old and good Apple Motion where if you do certain work you can use behaviour to do main work and you should only to manage key frame and timing.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ElliotFrahs

PostWed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 pm

+1

AlexXA

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 8:30 am

I join. The ability to change the scale of the curves of the timeline is very much in demand. Otherwise, for example, the task of smoothly changing the horizon within small limits (+-5 degrees) turns into a quest.
R9-5950X, 128 Gb, RTX-A4000, 16 gb, WIN10
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve