16.1 FINAL still no easing on position keyframes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

Re: 16.1 FINAL still no easing on position keyframes

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

for everyone who wants to do simple position/scale/rotation animations for elements in the edit-timeline, i would recommend to go to the color tab and use the dynamic keyframes. it has a curve-editor that actually works. generators like text cannot be transferred to the color page (i think), but you could first make a compound clip in that occasion. still not ideal and very basic, i had a hard time making a ''bounce''-effect, but for more advanced animations i would eventually still recommend fusion or other apps..

i made a few cool things already with it, hope it helps.

i hope that in the future more functions could share across the different pages. this could help get rid of all these complaints. almost every single function that can be useful for an editor is present in resolve, just not in the best way, yet. I mean, why develop further the current keyframe-system in the edit page, when you have a super-powerful spline editor already sitting there in the fusion page? if it's user-interface-simplicity, i would say make a very small button ''reveal super-powerful spline editor'' It's probably not that simple, but theoretically speaking.

i could see the fusion page merging with the color page. imagine an implementation of the spline-editor from fusion to the color page (or maybe the edit?), together with the same generators as in the edit page, like text. you can have such an improvement for so many workflows. When the implementation of fusion was announced i almost wet my pants, so excited. but nowadays i keep avoiding it as much as i can, with the color page as my first escape. also for greenscreening and animations, ironically.

i share the frustration, that there is a ''neural engine'', face recognition, boring detector, while many basic functions are far from polished. it is just not sexy to advertise with ''polished basic functions''.

but bmd would surely benefit from a 'perfect' resolve. If stuff like this never get fixed, it will get a reputation and people will walk away. So i bet resolve as it is now is far from finished.

eventually i'm always able to produce cool stuff, which is the most important i guess. maybe we are all spoiled.. but it's never wrong to think of how things can be improved i guess.

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 pm

I am seeing a change in behavior with a project started in an early 16 beta, but it's still not the correct behavior.

For starters, we still only have two options when right clicking on a keyframe in the Inspector.

Linear
Ease In and Out

We need all four options that were available and working in 16b4.

Linear
Ease In
Ease Out
Ease In and Out

Here's a scenario that demonstrates why.

Keyframe 1 is set to 40
Keyframe 2 is set to 60
Keyframe 3 is set to 60
Keyframe 4 is set to 80.

Keyframes 2 and 4 need Ease In to smooth out the 'landing'. But an Ease Out on Keyframe 2 produces incorrect behavior, a swing in the Position between keyframes 2 and 3 when the image should remain fixed. That "fixededness" is achieved with a Linear out. We need both Ease and Linear on the same keyframe.

The individual Ease options really need to come back to produce correct behavior.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jeffrey Hahn

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Agreed. BM has dropped the ball with some of the basics of DR. We need these tools to work properly to do our jobs. I've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in BM hardware and software. I don't want to switch back to Premiere, but given the state of DR at the moment, I'm having a hard time staying. If BM seems more interested in adding new, half-baked features, rather than fixing old bugs that are necessary for us to bring in revenue as editors, I'm beginning to see the path that we must take. Between this bug, and Fairlight not playing nicely with Waves plugins, I think the management and devs need to take a serious look at their development roadmap, and perhaps, even apply the brakes.
--
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K, w/ SSD recorder, URSA 4K
Mac Pro 6,1 / 8 core Intel Xeon, 3.5 GHz / 64 GB RAM
Ultrastudio 4K
DR Editor Keyboard
Blackmagic Thunderbolt SSD Dock
Resolve Mini Panel
2 TB SSD cache, 16 TB project array, 36 TB project archive

chrisconway

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am

Hi

There is an easing on the color page keyframes now. Not sure when it was implemented. Its not brilliant but it does work.

Page 2412 of the 16.1 Manual

When you set your dynamic keyframes you can right click on the dynamic keyframes and select 'Change Dynamic Attributes' it bring up a pop up window with a curve path. Start dissolve and End Dissolve, as I said it not the best easing spline and could be improved on (fusion splines please).

Chris

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Yikes! Let me pile on here in regards to this issue. Just ran into it myself in 16.1.1, and I can't believe that this is still an issue.

Thankfully you can work around it to a certain extent, by animating the "Input Sizing" parameter in the Color page, and using the "Change Dynamics Attributes" key framing option to add basic ease in/out to moves. But you can't do bezier curve adjustments that way.

This really should be near the top of the "must fix" list for the next version. I'd rather the menu options for ease in/out not even be there, instead of having it be there, yet it doesn't actually do "what it says on the tin", as our friends in the UK would say.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

chrisconway

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:30 am

I think it would be a good idea is the Fusion team and Resolve team sat down together. Taking the splines from fusion and implementing them into resolve would be great. Taking the colour wheels and curves from Resolve and piping them into fusion would be great.

There are some amazing features in each, sharing the best with each programme would make it so much better and more intuitive to work with.

Please ‘sort out those splines guv’ (as we say in London)

Chris

deanphillips1991

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 2:17 pm

This fixed yet?
PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core CPU
Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO
RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE
GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 -

Macbook:
2.4GHz 8-core i9 processor
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
32GB RAM
2TB SSD storage

fgreen

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 9:19 pm

I just upgraded today with v16.1.2.026, and the timeline easing of position still seems pretty much unchanged from v15.

I hope I am missing something-- or is it still not working?

philtimm

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Here we are, a year later and this is still a DEEPLY frustrating issue within Resolve.

It's disappointing. I don't want to have to ping everything into Fusion every time I want to do a simple camera move.
HP Z8 G4 Workstation (dual Xeon Silver 4116)
160GB 2400MHz RAM
Nvidia RTX A5000 24GB GPU
512GB NVMe sys drive
4TB NVMe RAID0 scratch drive
24TB G-Drive Shuttle XL RAID5 storage (Thunderbolt2)

Win 10 Pro for Workstations
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 Build 6

TheBloke

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm

philtimm wrote:Here we are, a year later and this is still a DEEPLY frustrating issue within Resolve.

It's disappointing. I don't want to have to ping everything into Fusion every time I want to do a simple camera move.
I quite agree that it's really unfortunate that the Edit page doesn't have fully working keyframes.

That said, I actually much prefer going into Fusion to do this. I put an Adjustment Clip above the clips - sometimes across the whole length of the timeline, if I need adjustments on many clips - and then use Fusion Transform and other nodes.

As well as giving working easing adjustments, the major benefit of this is that one gets to use Fusion's fantastic Spline Editor for keyframing.

Even if the Edit page keyframes did work as expected, the UI for editing them would still be very basic and lack the advanced manipulation options of the Spline Editor.

As I've said before in other threads: I really hope that at some point BMD will use the Fusion Spline Editor as the standard keyframe UI across the whole of Resolve; or at least on the Edit page. The code already exists, it's stable and reliable, and has a lot of advanced features. It could easily be made to pop-up as a floating window on the Edit page whenever a user clicked the Keyframe icon on a clip. That could be a supplement to the existing minimal in-line version that appears below the clip, giving the best of both worlds : simple, in-line control as now, with the option for full control in a pop-up Spline Editor.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm

TheBloke wrote:one gets to use Fusion's fantastic Spline Editor for keyframing.

It is orders of magnitude more usable than what we currently have on the Edit page.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to use Splines to get the desired result here. In the 16b4 version, a very simple right click on the Keyframe from the Inspector produced the same results you'd get from a Flat curve in the Fusion Spline editor.

THAT should remain the focus for BMD, I think. Get those right click Ease options working again.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ian McGuffie

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 11:46 pm

Topic: "Keyframe easing ....."

6000+ views
60+ replies

.... if it was easy to implement without messing up other code, I'm sure BM would already have it solved. And I too lament the lack of it.
I like to think they are busily beavering away on it, with a box of fine French champagne ready to award to the coder that cracks it.
And maybe that'll be a fine Xmas gift to us all within DR 17 ?!? Who knows....(I don't).

I do know Melbourne (where BM are headquartered) has been hit extra bad with this bluddy pandemic, and restrictions here are as tough as they get in the world - strict travel restrictions, curfews, major lockdown, work from home, unhelpful covidiot distractions and so on. These don't help businesses in this city of 5 million run smoothly, it's like a ghost town.

It's nice to find positives in amongst all this. Just firing up DR usually puts a smile on my face when I see all the screens.

:)
Resolve Studio 18.0b5
Speed Editor
Win 10 pro. 64GB RAM
Ryzen 9 3950x
X570 Aorus Master
Sys, Cache & Media (3x) separate 2TB M.2 SSD's
2x Dell U2410
RTX 3090 (Studio Driver)
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k > Proart 329C

Peter Cave

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Ian McGuffie wrote:Topic: "Keyframe easing ....."

6000+ views
60+ replies

.... if it was easy to implement without messing up other code, I'm sure BM would already have it solved. And I too lament the lack of it.
I like to think they are busily beavering away on it, with a box of fine French champagne ready to award to the coder that cracks it.
And maybe that'll be a fine Xmas gift to us all within DR 17 ?!? Who knows....(I don't).

I do know Melbourne (where BM are headquartered) has been hit extra bad with this bluddy pandemic, and restrictions here are as tough as they get in the world - strict travel restrictions, curfews, major lockdown, work from home, unhelpful covidiot distractions and so on. These don't help businesses in this city of 5 million run smoothly, it's like a ghost town.

It's nice to find positives in amongst all this. Just firing up DR usually puts a smile on my face when I see all the screens.

:)

Keyframe easing/smoothing has been a feature on EVERY hardware/software DVE since they first appeared back in the days of analog TV. Resolve is the ONLY software I know of that has not been able to make this work. It's now at the point of being really embarrassing for BMD that they have the feature in Resolve (Mac OSX) but it HAS NEVER WORKED! They have also NEVER addressed the issue in the forum.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Maybe BMD already has it working as they want it and thus sees no need for change. Easing isn’t exactly the holy grail of development, literally everyone else has it working, as Peter wrote.
I do stuff.

Peter Cave

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 6:10 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Maybe BMD already has it working as they want it and thus sees no need for change. Easing isn’t exactly the holy grail of development, literally everyone else has it working, as Peter wrote.

I don't think so, as on Mac OSX the Inspector position smoothing controls are all there and documented in the user manual, but they stay linear, no matter what motion is chosen. In my humble 40 years of experience this is the ONLY software (or hardware) that has EVER had this issue.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

DanielBoist

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 10:19 am

Peter Cave wrote: In my humble 40 years of experience this is the ONLY software (or hardware) that has EVER had this issue.

I can only weight in 25 years of experience, but otherwise i totally confirm peters post.
It's getting ridiculous for such an amazing piece of advanced Software that such a basic and elementary feature isn't working for years.
I can only hope that R17 will address that...otherwise i need to get a ticket to Australia to discuss this personally with BMD... :)
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

4 Installations of DR Studio / Fusion Studio
2 x MacStudio Ultra , 128 GB
2 x MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 32 GB

Leif Kaehler

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm

+1. This MUST be fixed.
Windows 10 Pro, latest Version
Asus ProArt Z790 Creator, Intel i9-13900K, 192 GB RAM
nVidia RTX4090, Studio Driver v.564.01
Network: 10GbE + File Server / NAS
Resolve Studio Version 18.1.4
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Leif Kaehler wrote:+1. This MUST be fixed.

It has been “improved” in several versions, according to release notes, usually for the worse.

Any chance someone from BMD could chime in? It is kind of quiet here on this front. Is this acknowledged as a bug or is it just the users not reading the manual?
I do stuff.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve