Render Cache & Choppy Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

monk191

Render Cache & Choppy Playback

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I have been having playback problems with Resolve 16. Cached render files will often not play back without choppiness, and I can't seem to find a way to get smooth playback. This was an issue with Resolve 15, but appears to be even worse in 16.

I am working in timelines with mixed codecs. I make ProRes optimized media from H264 files, alongside BRAW. As soon as I add any color work, even the optimized and BRAW files need rendering. Once rendered using ProRes 422, 75% of clips play fine, but some will still stutter and chop. The FPS meter still reads 24FPS, but nothing I do will allow me to playback smoothly, making it impossible to judge a cut before exporting.

I am running off a MacBook Pro with a Radeon Pro 560X. Not the fastest GPU, but both FCPX and Premiere have no problems with either optimized media or Render files on my setup. Original and Render files are stored on a 500MB/sec SSD. I really want to be able to work with Resolve, but the performance issues make it almost impossible.

Has anyone had these issues and found a solution?
Thanks for the help!

KennethD

Re: Render Cache & Choppy Playback

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Do people even look at issues like this on this forum? I posted a topic similar to this 5 minutes ago. SMH!!! This topic was posted in April and its September 19th, and zero replies? Huh??? Whats going on??!!!

IvanTheEditor

PostFri May 21, 2021 8:15 am

Same here... everything is cached and rendered yet playback is choppy even when the preview resolution is set to quarter... I've tried everything but it just won't play smoothly no matter what. All I've applied is some very simple text. It shouldn't be having this much trouble playing it back!!

Jim Simon

PostFri May 21, 2021 3:52 pm

There could be many reasons, Ivan.

Post up your media and system specs (including drive arrangement), as well as specific Cache settings.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve