DaVinci Resolve on Debian Linux (and makeresolvedeb)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

endless

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Debian Linux (and makeresolvedeb)

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 11:03 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Christian: Free Resolve on Linux does not support H.264/H.265 files. Only the Studio version has that support.

Ugh! We really need better Linux support with Resolve!!
Ok thanks Dwaine. So, but the STUDIO version should work ok if instead I installed that on the laptop, right?
I know I have a 2nd INSTALL of my STUDIO version with the purchase.

And perhaps you could refer me to the answer as to REINSTALLS... Say for example my pc crashes and I need to REinstall my STUDIO version. How will BMD determine whether I'm installing more than my 2 installs permitted?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 6:56 pm

You get 2 license activations. If you need to move a license, be sure to Deactivate the license first in the Resolve Help menu.

If you use the 2 activations and try to activate a 3rd time, the activation system will deactivate the existing 2 activations and start the count over. It will do this as often as required, but this process is limited to once per week. To prevent abuse.

If you utilize the forced activation process more often than once a week, the activation process will be locked out for 1 week.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

endless

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 9:10 am

Ok got it. Thanks again Dwaine.

mpiter

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Christian: Free Resolve on Linux does not support H.264/H.265 files. Only the Studio version has that support.

What is the point of providing a video editor that does not support H.264/H.265 codecs in 2024? I had to go back to the beginning of the 2000's to find a video in my computer which had another video codec.

I would like to buy a professional video editor on Linux because I am tired of the bugs of the free pieces of software such as Flowblade, Openshot, Shotcut... I hesitate between Lightworks and Davinci Resolve with a preference-before-test for Davinci. Is there any way to test for a couple of weeks a trial version of Davinci that works with H.264/H.265 codecs on Linux? I will not blindly invest more than 300 € taxes included. Even H.264 would be sufficient because I could render again the videos in H.265 after buying the Studio version. I have plenty of H.264 videos that I should work with.

It is just a detail but maybe not a negligible one. I spent 6 hours yesterday and 4 today to try to install Davinci Resolve to import one of my videos. Of course it did not work despite testing different Nvidia drivers, libraries, ways to install the piece of software, etc. because I only have H.264/H.265 videos. Davinci imported my H.264 videos without an error message, just with the video missing. I could not imagine that a professional video editor would not support these codecs in the 2020's, even a free/trial version, and there are no hints of that fundamental piece of information in your Web site. So I spent a lot of time in wrong directions. That looks very unprofessional from BlackMagic. Maybe the Web site could be updated with that important piece of information for the benefit of every Linux user.

Thanks in advance for the answer to my question written in bold.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 pm

No, there is not a trial version of Resolve Studio available.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

mpiter

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:27 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No, there is not a trial version of Resolve Studio available.

Thank you for your answer.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve