Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Possible to make transparent background transparent?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dazzer

Possible to make transparent background transparent?

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:00 pm

Hi folks,

This'll sound weird, but is there any way to make the light grey / dark grey chequered transparent background actually transparent?

So you could see through to whatever is on your desktop?

I need it for an analog photography workflow (long story), in order to bring graphic elements into OBS while still seeing what is on the layer behind.

I'm guessing it would be possible in Unreal engine, but i have no clue if such a thing can be done in Fusion.

Obviously i can just render out a frame as a PNG with transparency, but i want to be able to tweak live without rendering.

Thanks!

Sander de Regt

Re: Possible to make transparent background REALLY transpare

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Do you mean that you want the viewport to be a window onto your desktop while capturing it through OBS? If this was 1991 I'd say get an Amiga with a Genlock. For this, I'd suggest rendering against a color OBS can key live.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Dazzer

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Do you mean that you want the viewport to be a window onto your desktop while capturing it through OBS?

I'm not sure, i just want to create objects in Fusion and only see those in OBS as the top layer.

Wherever there is no object, i want to "see through" to what is on the next layer in OBS.

Sander de Regt wrote:For this, I'd suggest rendering against a color OBS can key live.

I don't understand what you mean (i'm quite new to OBS), care to explain that workflow a little more?

Sander de Regt

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:31 pm

I am also new to OBS, but I have seen people who key themselves out live inside of OBS.
I think it uses so called video filters for that. If you use your Fusion objects against say a very specific green background, you can it right out. But I am not an expert on OBS, so this is as far as I can advice you on this.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Dazzer

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 11:04 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I am also new to OBS, but I have seen people who key themselves out live inside of OBS.
I think it uses so called video filters for that. If you use your Fusion objects against say a very specific green background, you can it right out. But I am not an expert on OBS, so this is as far as I can advice you on this.

Great, i got it working, thanks for the suggestion!

Return to Fusion