Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

cylindrical projection

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

cylindrical projection

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 12:21 pm

i'm hobbying around a bit with a stage screen. this screen is cylindrical, and seemless. a bit like this, but much smaller, same idea:
led-cylindrical-installation-scaled.jpg
led-cylindrical-installation-scaled.jpg (900.07 KiB) Viewed 594 times

I was thinking, would be cool to make things like text go round completely. In my normal everyday job i always create a rectangular canvas and animate things. But if i use a normal canvas like that, and move a text to the right, it will obviously move off-screen eventually. I think i have to make it "duplicate" somehow that it will appear on the left again.

What techniques can i use to do this?

Andrew Hazelden

Re: cylindrical projection

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 2:05 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:What techniques can i use to do this?

ResolveFX Transform Node
The Edit page based ResolveFX Transform node named "Transform" has controls for handling edge of frame wrapping when you move the element around on the horizontal axis.

Look in the Inspector window for the "Effects > Open FX > Advanced Options > Edge Behaviour: Wrap-Around" control. This will loop the pixels at the frame border in the same way that Photoshop's "Offset" filter works.

You would then modify the "Effects > Open FX > Position Controls > Position X" control to slide the content on the horizontal axis. Any pixels that cross the frame edge get scrolled around to the other side of the image border seamlessly.

ResolveFX Transform Edge Behaviour Wrap-Around.jpg
ResolveFX Transform Edge Behaviour Wrap-Around.jpg (489.01 KiB) Viewed 515 times

Fusion Page Transform Node
The Fusion page based "Transform" node also has an edge of frame wrapping control.

Look in the Inspector window for the "Controls > Transform > Edges: Wrap" control. This will loop the pixels at the frame border in the same way that Photoshops "Offset" filter works.

Transform Node Edges Wrap.png
Transform Node Edges Wrap.png (35.66 KiB) Viewed 515 times

If you want to be able to directly render out cylindrical formatted motion graphics content from the 3D scene graph in the Fusion page, the Steakunderwater Reactor package manager has free open-source "Kartaverse" macros that allow this to work.

You can also convert between different image projections like fisheye, spherical, and cubic formats into a cylindrical image projection.

macro-cylindrical-renderer3d-gui.png
macro-cylindrical-renderer3d-gui.png (48.79 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Rick van den Berg

Re: cylindrical projection

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 2:52 pm

the wrap option is exactly what i was looking for. should have know that :) thanks Andrew.

Return to Fusion