Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Question About The Triangulate 3D [3TRI] Node

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

KrunoSmithy

Question About The Triangulate 3D [3TRI] Node

PostTue May 14, 2024 12:00 pm

I'm not a 3D guy, I come from 2D world of post production, but I see there is Triangulate 3D [3TRI] node in Fusion. According to manual Triangulate 3D Node Introduction

"The Triangulate 3D node is a unique node in that it has no controls. This node turns polygon shapes into triangles. For instance, a quad that is four points becomes two triangles. It is used to convert complex polygon shapes into a mesh for easier processing."

Why people use Triangulate 3D?

People use Triangulate 3D for several reasons:

Efficient rendering: Triangulation allows for more efficient rendering of 3D models, as triangles are the simplest polygons that can exist in a 3D space, and graphics hardware is optimized for rendering them.

Easier calculation: Triangles are easier to calculate than quads, making it simpler to determine the intersection point and calculate the 3D coordinate.

Control over triangulation: Triangulating models before exporting them to an engine allows for more control over how the model will be triangulated, ensuring that faces are triangulated exactly as desired.

Compatibility: Many game engines and graphics hardware are optimized for triangle-based rendering, making triangulation a necessary step for compatibility.

Performance: Triangulation can improve performance by reducing the number of vertices and faces in a model, making it easier to render and process.

Simplification: Triangulation can simplify complex models, making them easier to work with and reducing the risk of errors or inconsistencies.

AI-generated answer.

Quora Anser:

Profile photo for Brecht Corbeel
Brecht Corbeel
Writing a program for file handling/file optimisationAuthor has 6.2K answers and 1.7M answer views8mo

In the realm of 3D graphics and game development, the use of triangles is indeed pervasive, but it's not an absolute rule that all 3D models must be triangulated. Triangles are the simplest polygons that can exist in a 3D space, and graphics hardware is optimized for rendering them. This makes triangles highly efficient for real-time rendering, a crucial requirement in gaming.

Triangles offer a level of simplicity that other polygons do not. A triangle is always planar, meaning all its vertices lie in a single plane. This eliminates the need for complex calculations to determine the shape of the surface. In contrast, polygons with more than three vertices can be non-planar, making them more computationally expensive to render accurately.

However, during the modeling phase, artists often work with quads (four-sided polygons) or even n-gons (polygons with more than four sides) for greater flexibility and control. Software like Blender, 3ds Max, or Maya allows for this kind of polygonal modeling. Quads are particularly popular because they are easier to manipulate, subdivide, and unwrap for texturing. They also lend themselves better to certain types of mathematical deformation used in animation.

When the model is ready to be exported into a game engine like Unity or Unreal, it's usually converted into a triangulated mesh. This is because the game engine is optimized to work with triangles, ensuring that the model is rendered as efficiently as possible during gameplay.

There are exceptions, of course. Some specialized rendering techniques or simulation algorithms may require a different kind of mesh topology. However, these are more the exception than the rule and are generally not used in real-time game environments due to their computational complexity.

So, while it's common practice to triangulate 3D models for game use, the modeling process itself can involve a variety of polygon types. The key is to understand the strengths and limitations of each, and to choose the one that best suits the task at hand.

Based on this I would assume that some complex meshes for models imported into Fusion can be not in triangles, and maybe its good to leave them that way when doing Displace 3D [3DI] operations, although I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but perhaps I would assume its best to use Triangulate 3D [3TRI] Node when we need to just apply shaders or rending so that it speeds up the process. This is my guess based on what I've read. Any of your 3D wizards out there, who can give your 5 cents on this and do you personally use it and if you do where and when?

Thanks.

Return to Fusion