Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Dynamic effect lengths

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

draekster

Dynamic effect lengths

PostThu May 23, 2024 6:28 am

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a few effects with Fusion. My goal is to make a template for images to create a slideshow. Among other things, I zoom into the image.

The whole thing works quite well, but I have the following problem:
When I drag an image into the timeline and then apply the effect to it, the animation works as it should. However, if I extend the clip, the animation stops in the middle. Similarly, if I shorten the clip, the animation does not run to the end.

I use the transformation node for the effect and use keyframes for the zoom. I have already read here that DR keeps the keyframe positions when changing the clip length. For titles, you could use the keyframe strecher here. However, this is of no use to me here as I have a continuous animation. Or I'm using it incorrectly...

I have also seen that I can use an ‘Anim Curve’. I have already tested this and it solves the problem slightly.
But even with this, I have to drag each image individually into the timeline, adjust the length and then apply the effect. If I then change the lengths afterwards, I have the same problem again...

The whole topic is new to me and I currently have no more ideas.

Can someone explain to me how I can set up my effect dynamically for different clip lengths?
Kind regards
draekster

KrunoSmithy

Re: Dynamic effect lengths

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:02 pm

I am not a motion graphics guy and I don't make these dynamic templates for Edit page, but there are a lot of tutorials on such things online, so I'm sure you can find what you need. Many are selling templates and there is a lot of competition to build more elaborate and elastic ones.

Here are some videos that should give you ideas to take it further.
KeyFrameStrecher _ All You Need To Know [Davinci Resolve] #tutorial #videoediting #fusion

How to extend/stretch your titles in Davinci Resolve? (Keyframe Stretcher)

How to Retime Title Effects Right with Keyframe Stretcher DaVinci Resolve 18 Fusion Tutorial

DaVinci Resolve's Secret Weapon - AnimCurves Explained!

EVERY Setting Explained Anim Curves In-Depth Free Visualization Macro DaVinci Resolve Fusion

Last edited by KrunoSmithy on Thu May 23, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sander de Regt

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:34 pm

Kruno,

For future reference, I think youtu.be links don't embed in forum posts only the proper youtube.com links embed correctly.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:38 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Kruno,

For future reference, I think youtu.be links don't embed in forum posts only the proper youtube.com links embed correctly.

Interesting. Thanks. Any idea why or how to change them. I just went to youtube and click the share button and pasted the link. Is there are better way to share a video from youtube on this forum?

Edit. I went and try to find the link with .com at the end, so I've updated the links. Thanks. I hope it works now. I'll keep it in mind for future.

draekster

PostThu May 23, 2024 9:50 pm

Thank you very much :D

Anim Curves are really the solution. I just used them incorrectly, or rather I didn't know what to do with Source and left them in the default Transition setting.

But if I set the Source to Duration, it works as I want it to.
I will try this out in more detail in the next few days, but my first quick test looks good.
Kind regards
draekster

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 23, 2024 10:59 pm

draekster wrote:Thank you very much :D

Anim Curves are really the solution. I just used them incorrectly, or rather I didn't know what to do with Source and left them in the default Transition setting.

But if I set the Source to Duration, it works as I want it to.
I will try this out in more detail in the next few days, but my first quick test looks good.

Cool.

Return to Fusion