Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

USD Lights cause crash and black viewports

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ernest Skocdopole

USD Lights cause crash and black viewports

PostThu May 09, 2024 4:54 am

Testing out USD and 19 beta 2 states fixed issue with lights ( - Addressed issue with using 3D lights in USD). But, I didn't see issues with 19 beta 1 version. But, now adding a USD Light into the USD Merge either causes Fusion to crash and/or causes viewports to just show black. Even disconnecting the light does not cause the viewport to render normal. Just stays black. Absolutely useless now to add lights to USD comps. This is for Mac version. Not sure about Windows.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: USD Lights cause crash and black viewports

PostThu May 09, 2024 6:06 am

It wasn’t this issue. Which issue it was… hehe, good luck finding out. BMD puts these notorious ”fixed an issue” notes into release docs but never tell which issue out of possibly many it was, because why the hell make it useful for users, right.
I do stuff

Ernest Skocdopole

PostFri May 24, 2024 4:24 am

So, a few more issues with this. uVolume, uCamera, Lights or uRenderer can cause issues. I have notice view port glitches, turning pink/purple and/or just crashes on Fusion Studio 19.02. Mainly the console shows this error: uRenderer1: TF_DIAGNOSTIC_CODING_ERROR_TYPE (_commandBuffer is null)

On Mac M1 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM running Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)

Hopefully 19.03 will bring nice fixes.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 11.59.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 11.59.01 PM.png (14.83 KiB) Viewed 272 times

Ernest Skocdopole

PostFri May 24, 2024 6:35 pm

Just downloaded 19.03. From initial testing of comps created in 19.02 (using uVolume, uRenderer, uCamera and Lights), it appears to be more stable than 19.02 in this area. However, it appears that the loading of uVolume data is slower, and thus rendering is slower. I have fast SSD that data is stored on, and 19.02 was able to load and/or cache all the data and render out very quickly. Now it appears the data is not caching and must load itself upon being read and then render.

I'm ok with that for now, as I would rather have stable and slow than quick and unpredictable crashes. haha

Return to Fusion