Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Multiple tracking points for a single camera movement

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

bobsiquis

Multiple tracking points for a single camera movement

PostThu May 23, 2024 3:34 pm

Hi to all and nice to meet you :D

I hope I'm not making a bad impression :oops: , I'm supposed to be tracking a background in chromakey, while on the foreground I have a person being interviewed, so I have to set the "node tracker" to "match move". On the background in chroma I have X's (always green) for tracking, but depending on the scene they come out of the frame, interrupting the tracking. I thought about having other tracker points continue tracking the movement but by doing this the background jumps when the tracker point changes as if the pivot point no longer matches. Unfortunately I cannot share the scene, I am attaching an image similar to the scene shot, only our actress is standing and not sitting and moving around the studio a lot. The tracker node is really just for position, rotation and scaling should not be changed, using a camera solving seems excessive for this job specifically.

I looked everywhere online but couldn't find anything. :cry:

Thanks for all

Ernest Skocdopole

Re: Multiple tracking points for a single camera movement

PostThu May 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Look for information on Track Append or is it Append Track? hmmm. Basically, you use the same tracker and just append it to another spot and it will continue the track without too much disturbance.

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 23, 2024 6:01 pm

bobsiquis wrote: The tracker node is really just for position, rotation and scaling should not be changed, using a camera solving seems excessive for this job specifically.

I assume by tracker node you mean, just tracker, sometimes called pattern or point tracker. Here is how to deal with occlusions with a tracker.

Pro Tracking Tips for DaVinci Resolve Fusion

For getting position one tracker is enough. For rotation and scaling you will need more than one. Or you can use planar tracker. If you have access to mocha pro, that is always a great third party option.

Also depending on how use set up what to track in the tracker, you can get easy track that succeeds or quick fail, so if you fail, don't give up, look for different settings. Reference manual has explanation for what it means.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedi ... art651.htm

I've used this successfully myself.

Just Testing Occlusion Tracking In Blackmagic Fusion (Tracker + Magic Mask)

P.S.

New Intellitrack in Fusion 19 should be even more sticky but I haven't tested it myself.

When dealing with various occlusions and things getting in a way, one thing that you can always do is isolate the subject you want to track first, and than track in transparent background and it works well for both tracker and planar tracker. It essentially acts as occlusion mask. This is quite handy when you have to many distractions to throw off the tracker. Magic mask may not be bet for pure rotoscoping but it can be very useful as assist tool in this case for masking out the thing I wanted to track, like this briefcase.

Magic Mask And Planar Tracker In Blackmagic Fusion Bringing An Alien To The Meeting

bobsiquis

PostFri May 24, 2024 7:39 am

Ernest Skocdopole wrote:Look for information on Track Append or is it Append Track? hmmm. Basically, you use the same tracker and just append it to another spot and it will continue the track without too much disturbance.

Thanks, but using the same tracker does happen though. I don't know if I misunderstood.
Attachments
2024-05-24 09.29.09 DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic.png
2024-05-24 09.29.09 DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic.png (37.8 KiB) Viewed 342 times

bobsiquis

PostFri May 24, 2024 8:55 am

Thanks Ernest and Kruno, but I had already seen that video. :cry:
In reality the problem is not with the walking subject, but with the background but the opposite. In practice it must be the background that is tracked. On Blender, for example, there is a join to unite multiple trackers when one leaves the field of view and maybe I have another present but in a different area.

using the same tracker does happen though. I don't know if I misunderstood. :geek:
Attachments
2024-05-24 09.29.09 DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic.png
2024-05-24 09.29.09 DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic.png (37.8 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri May 24, 2024 9:02 am

Change the Path Center in tracker settings to "Track Center (Append)", this allows you to move around the tracking pattern window to other tracker if previous goes out of view without messing up the actual track.

What I usually do in case of point tracks if I want them to be more precise is that I run several of them with slight offsets on same markers. This averages together any tracking noise, producing smoother result.
I do stuff

bobsiquis

PostFri May 24, 2024 10:27 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Change the Path Center in tracker settings to "Track Center (Append)", this allows you to move around the tracking pattern window to other tracker if previous goes out of view without messing up the actual track.

What I usually do in case of point tracks if I want them to be more precise is that I run several of them with slight offsets on same markers. This averages together any tracking noise, producing smoother result.

Thank you, I tried to do as you said but in some areas I can see that the background goes from moving to the right (correct), at some point it goes to the left (wrong), and then it goes to the right again correctly. Maybe I need to change something on the 'operation' tab or the 'match move settings'?

Return to Fusion