Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

2D Text Question

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jsghost777

2D Text Question

PostMon May 27, 2024 10:46 am

How do you go about creating an extrude effect with 2DText+?

Sander de Regt

Re: 2D Text Question

PostMon May 27, 2024 11:03 am

Can you define what an extrude effect would look like in 2D?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

KrunoSmithy

PostMon May 27, 2024 11:20 am

jsghost777 wrote:How do you go about creating an extrude effect with 2DText+?

There used to be, or rather still is, a third party plug in called Krokodove that used to be able to extrude things from raster images. Its not working in newer versions of Fusion/Resolve.

2DText+ has a cousin in 3D, called 3DText. Its what will get you extrusion effect in 3D.

Using duplicate node you can fake 3D and there are tutorials out there on that, but its a fake effect where you duplicate something many times with a duplicate node and offset it slightly to creates an illusion of 3D.

I've used this method successfully on a logo that was faked to look like 3D, by placing it on image plane 3D for reflections and light interaction, but sense of extrusion is done with duplicate node.

For text effects you actually have a 3D text that supports extrusion, so unlike custom logo you don't have to do this. Text is just text.

jsghost777

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:04 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:

There used to be, or rather still is, a third party plug in called Krokodove that used to be able to extrude things from raster images. Its not working in newer versions of Fusion/Resolve.

2DText+ has a cousin in 3D, called 3DText. Its what will get you extrusion effect in 3D.

Using duplicate node you can fake 3D and there are tutorials out there on that, but its a fake effect where you duplicate something many times with a duplicate node and offset it slightly to creates an illusion of 3D.

I've used this method successfully on a logo that was faked to look like 3D, by placing it on image plane 3D for reflections and light interaction, but sense of extrusion is done with duplicate node.

For text effects you actually have a 3D text that supports extrusion, so unlike custom logo you don't have to do this. Text is just text.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was looking for something better than the duplicate one as that is exactly what I'm doing right now and it's working a little bit but once you make too many copies it's a total disaster!

Basically what I want to try and achieve is to make the text seem like it's extruded on a plane but I can't use 3D Text as the effect I'm doing doesn't work in 3D just yet. I'm still figuring out how to convert it to the 3D realm, which is what got me thinking about faking extrusion in 2D with a duplicate node, which then had me wondering if there's a better way :lol:

jsghost777

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:08 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Can you define what an extrude effect would look like in 2D?

Basically what I'm trying to do is take text that I put over an image and make the text look like it's extruding upward. What I did was displace it and then used a duplicate node, slightly offset it and made like 500 to 1000 copies, which sort of works but the problem is I animated the text and once you have too many copies the letters merge with one another and the holes in letters like "e,a,b,g" etc. start to disappear and you can't tell what the text is saying.

I was wondering if anyone figured out a better way to fake a 3D look in 2D.

jsghost777

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:10 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:

Man, you just gave me an idea. I'm going to play around with the image plane!

KrunoSmithy

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:14 pm

jsghost777 wrote:Basically what I want to try and achieve is to make the text seem like it's extruded on a plane but I can't use 3D Text as the effect I'm doing doesn't work in 3D just yet. I'm still figuring out how to convert it to the 3D realm, which is what got me thinking about faking extrusion in 2D with a duplicate node, which then had me wondering if there's a better way :lol:

I don't know. Every time you are provided with a simple solution, you seem to go out of your way to complicate things and create less impressive results. Maybe you can put your ideas on hold for a while and master the ready made solutions instead and than whatever new stuff you want to do will be easy. The other day you posted 3D glass effect that looks nothing like glass even if you asked for tools and tutorial on glass and same was for folding effect. I don't know what your goals are, but seems like you are complicating things for not apparent reason and what is worse your end results are not better for it. Just try basic solutions that already work. Than go on gradually complicating it, when you know what you are doing.

If you want to extrude something on a 3D plane, use the process I've explained many times before in other threads you asked about it. If you want extruded text use the feature already available in 3D text. If you want to extrude something that is not a text like a logo, use either duplicate node or convert it to sPolygon splines and use 3D extrude node. I am still not sure what you are trying to do, and why when you are presented with a solution to what you ask you go out of your way to find a some crazy complicated way that delivers inferior results.

jsghost777

PostMon May 27, 2024 1:53 pm

KrunoSmithy wrote:
jsghost777 wrote:Basically what I want to try and achieve is to make the text seem like it's extruded on a plane but I can't use 3D Text as the effect I'm doing doesn't work in 3D just yet. I'm still figuring out how to convert it to the 3D realm, which is what got me thinking about faking extrusion in 2D with a duplicate node, which then had me wondering if there's a better way :lol:

I don't know. Every time you are provided with a simple solution, you seem to go out of your way to complicate things and create less impressive results. Maybe you can put your ideas on hold for a while and master the ready made solutions instead and than whatever new stuff you want to do will be easy. The other day you posted 3D glass effect that looks nothing like glass even if you asked for tools and tutorial on glass and same was for folding effect. I don't know what your goals are, but seems like you are complicating things for not apparent reason and what is worse your end results are not better for it. Just try basic solutions that already work. Than go on gradually complicating it, when you know what you are doing.

If you want to extrude something on a 3D plane, use the process I've explained many times before in other threads you asked about it. If you want extruded text use the feature already available in 3D text. If you want to extrude something that is not a text like a logo, use either duplicate node or convert it to sPolygon splines and use 3D extrude node. I am still not sure what you are trying to do, and why when you are presented with a solution to what you ask you go out of your way to find a some crazy complicated way that delivers inferior results.

I get what you're saying but I think you misunderstood me. The "plane" I mentioned earlier wasn't a 3D plane, I should've just said "a picture" instead to avoid misunderstandings. So the text I wanted to make look more 3D is on a picture so I just wanted to fake a 3D look by making it look like it's extruded even though it isn't. I know how to extrude in 3D because of the ways you showed and the tutorials you posted as well as other tutorials I've watched. And I know 3D Text can extrude, which is why I'm always trying to convert anything I do in 2D with regards to text, into the 3D realm.

I've currently got an effect working in 2D. I was trying to put it in 3D but I haven't yet figured out the workaround in terms of how to get it to work in 3D as the 2D and 3D realms work different. So in the meantime I was trying to fake the 2D text effect to look a little more 3D. And that got me wondering if anyone knew of a way to do it better because the duplicate + slight offset way which I was using was working up until a point - it gave me minimal fake 3D effect. So all I was wondering was if there was another way to do it in 2D that gives better results. My goal is to recreate the effect in 3D but it'll take me some time to figure out how.

Oh plus: I tried using krokodove the other day and couldn't get it to work. I didn't know it no longer works in the newer versions of fusion, but that explains why it's always red when I try to activate it.

KrunoSmithy

PostMon May 27, 2024 2:03 pm

It all sounds very convoluted, clear as mud and for some reason it feels like you are your own worse enemy in this. Just do something simple. It doesn't have to look bad because its simple. If you are good with fundamentals yo can make wonders. From drop shadow effects, to bevel and emboss, to inner shadow effects to blend modes to anything you like. Keep it simple and focus on actual result, rather than some convoluted weird way that so far has not produce anything to justify its complexity.

Return to Fusion