Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Network rendering sadness

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mixolydian

Network rendering sadness

PostMon Jun 17, 2024 5:38 am

I assumed from the start that the network render thing was going to be problematic with one Fusion Studio installed in my Mac Studio and the other in my old PC, albeit with an RTX 3060 card, which is not the latest and greatest but still no slouch.

But well, I can get no relief, and after trying for three hours I give up for the day. Thing is, based on the log, it seems like it's trying to write on the PC to the same folder that is setup in the Saver when I did the project in my Mac, and obviously that's not going to work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that each node gets assigned a frame by the render manager, then renders that frame and send it back to the master machine, where it gets saved to the file specified in the saver. This also happens if I create a preview. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here's part of the log. Take a look at the second line, where it says that it couldn't write to the file and directory that was specified by me in the saver. Well, obviously it can't, but why does it need to write directly to that output, when the job of the render node is to just render and send back the frame to the master machine?

Code: Select all
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 47 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53): Saver1 failed to write to "/Volumes/Crucial/Fusion/Renders/Fusion 19 Tests/Test_.mov" ("\Volumes\Crucial\Fusion\Renders\Fusion 19 Tests\Test_.mov") frame 6: No such file or directory
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53): Saver1 failed at time 6
17/Jun/24 01:16:40  = ERROR: sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53) *failed* frame 6 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 6 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40 sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53) has been reassigned
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 48 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40  - sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53) closed the comp /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp.
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 49 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 50 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 51 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 47 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 6 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 52 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) is assigned frame 53 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 48 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40  + sebastian-pc (192.168.0.53) disconnected, did 0 frames of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 49 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 50 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp
17/Jun/24 01:16:40    sebastians-mac-studio.local (192.168.0.34) completed frame 51 of /Volumes/Crucial/Fusion 19/Test for Network Render.comp

Sander de Regt

Re: Network rendering sadness

PostMon Jun 17, 2024 7:19 am

I'm afraid I have to correct you, because you're wrong :-)

The images aren't sent back to the master to be saved, every seperate nodes tries to save seperately.
That is why you can only render to image sequences when using network renders. Most codecs don't allow for random frames to be written to the file. What people have been known to do is network render to a folder and have a seperate render running on the master with a Loader's missing frames options set to 'wait' so that it will render to the movie-file as the frames come in. But network rendering to a *.mov... it's not going to happen.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Mixolydian

PostTue Jun 18, 2024 2:05 am

Sander de Regt wrote:I'm afraid I have to correct you, because you're wrong :-)

Please do, every time. I'd rather be proven wrong and learn the right way than not be corrected and remain ignorant.

Sander de Regt wrote:The images aren't sent back to the master to be saved, every seperate nodes tries to save seperately.
That is why you can only render to image sequences when using network renders. Most codecs don't allow for random frames to be written to the file. What people have been known to do is network render to a folder and have a seperate render running on the master with a Loader's missing frames options set to 'wait' so that it will render to the movie-file as the frames come in. But network rendering to a *.mov... it's not going to happen.

Interesting because before I even read this, I thought that might be the case, so I set the saver to EXR, which is what I always use in Blender. But no reason to get excited, I still can get no relief.

If I start the render from the Mac, the PC node fails, and viceversa. Same exact project. I even change the output directory to a local one for each machine, but I still get denied.

I can see that this is going to be one of those rabbit holes that's going to take me hours or days to figure out, so I'd rather do the same thing I do with Blender, copy the project to the PC, guess how many frames I render in each machine, and start render, then copy all the EXRs to the Mac.

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jun 18, 2024 7:16 pm

I expect you'll want to look into Path Maps. This is a way of substituting a short string like "shot:" for a portion of the file path, like "C:/project/shot/" or "/Users/myname/project/shot/"

That way, you could set a path to "shot:render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr". The PC will interpret it as
"C:/project/shot/render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr" and the Mac will interpret it as "/Users/myname/project/shot/render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr"

And, of course, if you've mapped a common network location from each machine, you can have them all send to that location, regardless of how the individual operating system formats the path to that location.

There are some built-in path maps, too, which might be useful. For instance, if you're rendering to a subfolder in the same location as your composite file, you can use "comp:", which points to the folder where the .comp is. Thus, "comp:renders/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr" will find the same relative location on each computer.

Working in a multi-OS network can be challenging, but Fusion does have the tools to make it possible.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Mixolydian

PostWed Jun 19, 2024 12:08 am

Bryan Ray wrote:I expect you'll want to look into Path Maps. This is a way of substituting a short string like "shot:" for a portion of the file path, like "C:/project/shot/" or "/Users/myname/project/shot/"

That way, you could set a path to "shot:render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr". The PC will interpret it as
"C:/project/shot/render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr" and the Mac will interpret it as "/Users/myname/project/shot/render/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr"

And, of course, if you've mapped a common network location from each machine, you can have them all send to that location, regardless of how the individual operating system formats the path to that location.

There are some built-in path maps, too, which might be useful. For instance, if you're rendering to a subfolder in the same location as your composite file, you can use "comp:", which points to the folder where the .comp is. Thus, "comp:renders/v01/myRender_v01.####.exr" will find the same relative location on each computer.

Working in a multi-OS network can be challenging, but Fusion does have the tools to make it possible.

Thanks man, I'll take a look as soon as I get a chance. The only challenge I foresee is that while it's very easy to setup shares in Windows that can be mounted on a Mac very easily, I was never able to setup a share on macOS that I can mount in Windows. I've had both Macs and Windows PCs for 25 years, and I can't remember that I was able to do that once, even after multiple tries, and following every guideline I could find, asking in tech forums, and trying everything I could think of.

That said, last time I tried was over 5 years ago, because for the most part, I don't need to. I just mount the PC shares on my Mac and do all the file operations I need from the Finder. But I guess I can give it another try if it's necessary.

One quick question, it seems to me that if I got that sorted out, it still wouldn't work with 3rd party plugins or FX, right? The one I was working with is called "Audio Waveform", and it even shows in the list of FX, but it's one of the FX installed with that huge "Reactor" package. When I try to render the project that I'm using it in, it gives me this message on the PC:

"The file could not be opened as a composition: The following tools could not be loaded: 1 Fuse tool"

Now, that happened when I had installed only the node renderer in the PC. But I did the obvious, I installed Fusion 19 Beta 3 on the PC as well, and then downloaded and installed the Reactor package in it as well, obviously making sure that the Audio Waveform plugin was installed.

So I can open the project on both the Mac and the PC just fine. But any attempt to render with network from either machine gives me this message, just on that project. I even made sure that I had fixed the paths in the PC version of the project to local paths.

That's only with that project. I created a project and used the smoke template to have something

Return to Fusion