Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Bugs - Painting Module

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

Bugs - Painting Module

PostSat May 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Hiya,
We use standalone Fusion Studio for all composition work and its great. We moved over from using After Effects and have never looked back.
However we have found some bugs with the painting node that have been there for years so I thought I would finally report them.

Specs:
We have Fusion 17.1.1 Studio.
Windows 10 latest version, AMD Threadripper 3990x, Geforce 3090 RTX, 256GB RAM, but this happens to our other machines and with different versions of windows so does not look to be hardware related.

Bugs.
Bug 1) Sometimes the paint nodes just break so you cannot use them any more. This happens after a while.
The whole menu just disappears. The only thing I see is the controls tab, the Settings tab. But there are no longer any brush settings. This often happens when you close down the project and you come back to it another day. Usually I have to just make a new Paint node. But it worries me, what if you need to delete some of the strokes, but now you cannot since you lost all its history. In my project I work on now I have Paint 4, Paint 5, Paint 6 and Paint 7 and they are all broken. so I just have to add a new one. So the Brush Controls and Apply Control menu disappears completely.

Bug 2)
When you change the brush size and go to the next frame the display will show the OLD brush size until you press and start to paint. So it seems as if it remembers the brush size on this frame from before and displays it until you start painting. You can also notice this by just changing the brush size and move the cursor over where you are going to paint, notice that the UI does NOT display the new size. You have to click once first. We do not use a tablet to paint.

Bug 3) I had other bugs that I cannot replicate, but it seems that sometimes if you disable the node and enable it again, it will corrupt what you painted which is frightening. Sadly this is hard to reproduce. Now I try to not disable them unless I really have to because it may break the whole scene.

I would be happy to send up a project files, our raw video files we use are big so may be harder to attach.

Cheers,
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Bryan Ray

Re: Bugs - Painting Module

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Bug 1 isn't really a bug, but a side-effect of how the tool works. The brush controls aren't actually a part of the Paint tool, but of a Modifier that is automatically applied in the tool. When you stop painting and then come back, you usually have to start with a new set of strokes. To enable them, all you need to do is click one of the in-viewer buttons for the mode you want:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

Left to right, they're Multistroke (the default when you start a new Paint node), Clone MultiStroke, and Stroke.

Since you can't add to a MultiStroke once it's been finalized (by creating a new stroke, or closing Fusion, possibly some other circumstances), upon reloading the project, that modifier's control panel will no longer be shown in the Tools view. However, you can still add a new MultiStroke, or ordinary Stroke, to the tool by clicking one of those buttons, and the new modifier's controls will appear.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

AndreasOberg

PostSat May 15, 2021 7:55 pm

I stand corrected. So that is not a bug, maybe just a bit confusing UI.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Bryan Ray

PostSat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm

Yep. I think I'd been using Fusion for about two years before someone told me I didn't need a new Paint tool every time I restarted Fusion.

Your second bug is definitely a bug, though. It can be worse, too. Sometimes the frame itself won't even update at all until you start painting. At one point I had a habit of tapping a little bit outside the raster every time I advanced the frame. I think having a Tracker in the mix contributes, although it can happen without the Tracker, too.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

AndreasOberg

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:54 pm

Ha, that is crazy. I have also used Fusion for several years so I can also join the club I guess.

I think its weird that you have a painter interface right from the start. Then you restart and the UI is gone. That is not so intuitive. I think a simple way of solving it would be if the UI said "select the brush modes to paint" or something along those lines. Right now it says something confusing "no object selected".

Return to Fusion