Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

VFX Pipeline, SOS

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jeffrey Chance

VFX Pipeline, SOS

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 am

Howdy everyone.

Was brought on to a project after a lot of the VFX was done and have a few questions. One of the shots consists of a brain wrapper above the subject. I received the Brain Wrapper component as a Linear EXR. I also received a roto of the subject.

The issue I'm having is whenever I place the Linear EXR Brain Wrapper above my source clip with the color, the Linear EXR assset covers the subjects face. Is there an easy way of getting the Subject in front of the asset (I'm assuming it has something to do with the Roto of the subject component?

There's a similar issue with another one of the VFX assets; but that one consists of a hand enroaching on to the 3D space of the vfx. The Editor provided a roto of where the hand breaks the space as well.

Just wondering if there are easy solutions to these!

Sander de Regt

Re: VFX Pipeline, SOS

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 am

First things first: what is a brain wrapper?

Second: if I understand you correctly you'll most likely want to use a matte control or bitmap mask to use the subjects roto to punch a hole in your element so that it will appear to be behind the subject.

The bitmap mask method is probably the quickest to try. Take your loader, add a bitmap mask to it, feed that mask with the output of your roto (most likely a B/W image) and use luminance in the bitmap mask as a source and you might be good to go, depending on how accurately everything was done.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jeffrey Chance

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am

Sander de Regt wrote:First things first: what is a brain wrapper?

Second: if I understand you correctly you'll most likely want to use a matte control or bitmap mask to use the subjects roto to punch a hole in your element so that it will appear to be behind the subject.

The bitmap mask method is probably the quickest to try. Take your loader, add a bitmap mask to it, feed that mask with the output of your roto (most likely a B/W image) and use luminance in the bitmap mask as a source and you might be good to go, depending on how accurately everything was done.

Apologies, the "brain wrapper" is just the vfx component. It's literally an image of a brain with flowing rope/ gift wrapping paper.

I'm pretty new to fusion, do you have a tutorial I could read up on this method? Thank you so much.

Bryan Ray

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:53 pm

I think you'll get some benefit from the chapter "The Basics" from my book:

http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/blac ... he-basics/

The UI won't match what you see because I started writing way back in Fusion 7 (!?), but the essentials haven't changed at all—just the appearance.

Maybe read the sections "Lesson the First: Merges" and "Lesson the Fourth: Masking" first to solve your immediate problem, then go back and check out the entire article.

You'll just need to replace the Polygon I demonstrate with your roto. Sander's description was a little vague, so I'll explain the Bitmap in a bit more detail:

Bitmap has two inputs: Anything you put into the yellow input will have one or more of its channels converted into a single-channel alpha suitable for use in any mask input. Put the output of your roto's Loader or MediaIn into that yellow input.

In the Inspector, choose the channel you want to use in the Channel control. If your roto is a typical RGB image, the output of the Bitmap will probably be solid white because no alpha is usually interpreted as alpha = 1. If that's the case, change the Channel control to the channel you wish to pull the mask from. For a black-and-white mask image, you can usually use any channel, or Luminance.

Here are three ways of applying a mask (these aren't the only methods, but they're the most common):

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (112.46 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

The blue input on every node is intended to take masks, as described in the article linked above.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion