Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

"Template file" shows "Media Offline" for new Fusion titles

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ActionJackson

"Template file" shows "Media Offline" for new Fusion titles

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 pm

PROBLEM

Hi, I made a “template file” to save time from having to import common files for each project. The media pool has music, sound effects, images, etc. in it. This “template file” also has 10 or so video and audio tracks on the Timeline with certain effects added to them.

I also made a bunch of my own Fusion titles, and a few of these titles use pngs I animated. Everything in this original “template file” works fine.

But as soon as I save this file as something like “my_next_project”, and I try to add one of the fusion titles with images in them, I get a “Media Offline” in the viewport. Any other title works fine, but the only ones not working are the ones with pngs, and the names / locations of these pngs has not changed.

So I go into fusion, the nodes with images are red, and the console says:

my_image cannot get frame for time 22
MediaOut1 cannot get Parameter for Source at time 22
MediaOut1 failed at time 22

WHAT I TRIED

I’ll then try to change the source folder of the png in the media pool to the same one it was in, and that won’t make it recognize it either.

So I’ll make a copy of my_image in the same folder as the original, add it to the project in the same bin, and replace the node with the copy, then it suddenly shows in the viewport.

Any ideas what’s wrong? I have like 50 animated images to deal with, and having to redo all that for each project is not worth it.

If any of this is confusing, this is essentially what I was hoping to achieve:

Bryan Ray

Re: "Template file" shows "Media Offline" for new Fusion tit

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 pm

My guess is that you brought the PNG files in using a MediaIn node? If so, that node won't work for your purposes because it doesn't point to the file on disk, but to the item in the MediaBin. Even if the same media item exists in the new project's bin, its ID is different, so the MediaIn node cannot identify it.

Instead, use the Loader node, which points to the file's location on disk. Better still, make sure your PNGs are in the same folder as your template's .setting file, and use the setting: pathmap to point to it. That will ensure that even if you move the template to another location, the Loader will still find the image.

A word of warning, however: Loader in Resolve does not read video files, only images and image sequences (Loader in Fusion Studio loads video, though; I have no idea why the difference). I'm not sure what the solution is for including video assets in a template, other than to always render them out to image sequences.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

TheBloke

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 pm

Bryan Ray wrote: I'm not sure what the solution is for including video assets in a template, other than to always render them out to image sequences.
That's the only option, yeah.

To the OP: In case you want to see a demonstration of what Bryan explained: here's a tutorial on templates with media, plus a few other topics like template icons and the new bundle DRFX system for distributing templates
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

ActionJackson

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 7:17 pm

IT WORKED!!! :D

I used the Loader node, set the global in/out as needed cause I was using a keyframe stretcher too, and it's all good.

Thanks a lot! Both of you!

Return to Fusion