Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

red nodes in Fusion (color corrector nodes)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

cototototo

red nodes in Fusion (color corrector nodes)

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi,
I'm having a lot of red nodes (nodes' names appear in red letters, instead of white) when working in Fusion.
Through Workspace > Console I can see what appears to be an error log. A frequent error message reads "ColorCorrector cannot get Parameter for Master - Hue at time 272".
I'm guessing the other nodes are getting errors just because they're downstream the faulty color corrector node.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Very frustrating cause I've tried deleting the node, then just creating a new one with the same parameters. It works for a while, then fails.
Many thanks for any help =)
Dell XPS 17 9700
i9-10885H
64 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q
Windows 10, 64-bit

DaVinci Resolve Studio
Project Specs: REDRAW footage, 5:1 compression, resolution 4608x2160, 23.976fps

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: red nodes in Fusion (color corrector nodes)

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:12 am

Moved to Fusion forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

UserNoah

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 7:31 am

Usually nodes like the color corrector can only fail if they don't get an image when they are expecting one. If you're in resolve make sure that the media in node always supplies an image. In Fusion Studio check to see if the loader fails on certain frames.

If it's always just the Master Hue Parameter and that isn't connected to an expression that might fail then I would assume it to be a bug. There shouldn't be a reason why a normal parameter/input just fails.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 am

UserNoah wrote:Usually nodes like the color corrector can only fail if they don't get an image when they are expecting one.

This is something that doesn't make sense to me in Fusion. If request is made for a frame outside of frame range, why media engine does not simply supply black image (all channels zeroed) with same format?
I do stuff.

UserNoah

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 am

I had my issues with that too but now I actually prefer this behaviour because it usually tells me that something is wrong and needs fixing.

If it wouldn't error out I wouldn't easily see in the log where the issue is. Sure there could be some changes to how it is displayed but if I know there is image data missing and I'm fine with that I can always set the loader to show a black/previous/next image when there are missing frames. Or I use a dissolve node to automatically switch between the images and a background node (or something else) if there isn't data coming into the foreground input.

I'm more or less accustomed to that behaviour now and rely on it.

TheBloke

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:45 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
UserNoah wrote:Usually nodes like the color corrector can only fail if they don't get an image when they are expecting one.

This is something that doesn't make sense to me in Fusion. If request is made for a frame outside of frame range, why media engine does not simply supply black image (all channels zeroed) with same format?
In a Loader node you do have that option:

But for general nodes, if it doesn't get an image when it expects one, it will error. Which seems like the best option to me - or the only option. If there's some problem wouldn't you want to know immediately, rather than running a render and only finding later, maybe hours later, that some frames are black? I guess you could maybe implement a general Missing Frames option that is available on every node. But when the system was designed, Loaders were the only way to get media in, so I guess they thought that it only needed to be handled in the Loader nodes.

In Resolve things are now a bit more complicated. In Fusion Studio all media comes in via Loader node, so the property I showed above for a Loader should apply over the entire image pipeline. In Resolve, Loader nodes only work for still images and image sequences, and all video footage comes in via MediaIn. A MediaIn node does not have the Missing Frames option. If a frame can't be loaded, the MediaIn goes red, and so do all nodes downstream of it.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

cototototo

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 6:20 pm

UserNoah wrote:Usually nodes like the color corrector can only fail if they don't get an image when they are expecting one. If you're in resolve make sure that the media in node always supplies an image. In Fusion Studio check to see if the loader fails on certain frames.

If it's always just the Master Hue Parameter and that isn't connected to an expression that might fail then I would assume it to be a bug. There shouldn't be a reason why a normal parameter/input just fails.

Thanks for the tip! But yeah, it does seem to be some sort of bug. Cause I always had an image going into those color correctors. They worked fine again after I redid each of them. But today when I reopened the project, they failed yet again. And it's the Master Hue Parameter again, which makes it even stranger, since I never altered that parameter.

Thanks anyway!
Dell XPS 17 9700
i9-10885H
64 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q
Windows 10, 64-bit

DaVinci Resolve Studio
Project Specs: REDRAW footage, 5:1 compression, resolution 4608x2160, 23.976fps

Cosmin Hodiș-Mîndraș

PostFri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 am

I can see the same behavior of Color Corrector nodes - initially working as expected, then becoming red after a Resolve restart. There are no media or text inputs - just shapes, effects, etc. I can (relatively) quickly debug this by first copying the node, replacing it with another Color Corrector, then finally pasting the settings. It looks like a bug to me.
iMac 27-inch Retina 2017 (4.2 GHz i7, Radeon Pro 580 8GB, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD) | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 Public Beta 2 | UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 | Resolve Micro Panel | Desktop Video 12.2.3 | Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K

Return to Fusion