Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

What Fusion needs!

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

maxvfx

What Fusion needs!

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am

I had always wondered why compositing software cannot be faster in preview and render especially when 3D or 2.5D are part of the comp! II have to say that with the progress in technology and updates of Fusion we have seen a significant improvement! But still this lacks in terms of very good realtime previews and renders. I’m saying this because with present graphics cards and processing power I still see a lack in the above mentioned situations considering software like Blender having Eevee rendering engine and the Unreal engine can do so much! Real time previews and almost final production rendering in realtime! I’m not an expert programmer or developer so by all means I cannot judge the strategy behind implementing something like this in Fusion, but now that the Unreal Engine renderer has been implemented and integrated as a node in the latest update for Nuke 13.1 I think it would also make sense having something similar in Fusion! In my humble opinion this would be the way forward!
For further info

https://80.lv/articles/foundry-has-releases-nuke-13-1/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hendrik Proosa

Re: What Fusion needs!

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Nuke integration is a two-component system with Unreal side plugin (server) and Nuke side client which requests data from Unreal side. It basically streams image- and metadata over network and presents it in Nuke near-realtime when requested by Nuke client (at frame change etc), meaning changes in Unreal aren't automagically reflected in Nuke, it isn't live in this sense. I haven't personally tested it so can't comment on the speed.
I do stuff.

maxvfx

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Yes I can understand but in the demo video it looks quit good and responsive!
On the other hand Fusion can adopt a plugin renderer like Eevee which works wonders in Blender

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 7:44 pm

maxvfx wrote:On the other hand Fusion can adopt a plugin renderer like Eevee which works wonders in Blender

Ofcourse, BMD can start doing it today if they decide to. Question is, do they? Can't tell because discussing any roadmaps isn't BMD-s "philosophy".
I do stuff.

Jeff Ha

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:48 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
maxvfx wrote:On the other hand Fusion can adopt a plugin renderer like Eevee which works wonders in Blender

Ofcourse, BMD can start doing it today if they decide to. Question is, do they? Can't tell because discussing any roadmaps isn't BMD-s "philosophy".

EVEE is a junky renderer. It's definitely not intended for final production rendering, despite what Blender youtubers push on their subscribers.

Not doing much with Fusion development also seems to be BMD's philosophy. I can't see much happening with 3rd party renderers within Fusion's 3D system until BMD updates the software to support some of the calls required to make it happen for viewport, lights, materials/shaders and more. those render engines need Fusion to be updated before they could start to develop to it, even if they wanted to. Fusion has such a small user base, it may not be worth it to develop a plugin for it.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:53 am

Jeff Ha wrote:EVEE is a junky renderer. It's definitely not intended for final production rendering, despite what Blender youtubers push on their subscribers.

Final production rendering is so broad term it means just about nothing. There are bazillion final production needs and (near-)realtime rasterizer render engines can fill some of them with ease.
I do stuff.

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 pm

Rendering in Fusion is an absolute nightmare. Even using a basic paint node makes the system all but unusable. I'm working on a movie with tons of masking and any time I change anything I have to wait forever for everything to render. Really knee caps the creative process.

As you'd mentioned, Blender is soooo much faster and that's using a whole other dimension. Granted, my GPU is 129% slower than a 3090 but does that mean I'd still have to stumble through basics with a jacked up machine...just for half as long?

I love Resolve but I think it is under priced. Maybe if we had a pro version with a steeper price tag then we could get a better renderer and not have so many bugs. Take my money!!
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Jeff Ha

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Fusion is what it is. I'm excited to see what Autograph can do when it comes out in a few months.

https://www.left-angle.com/#page=95

Kel Philm

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 6:45 pm

Jeff Ha wrote:Fusion is what it is. I'm excited to see what Autograph can do when it comes out in a few months.

https://www.left-angle.com/#page=95

Looked very promising until I saw 'layer based', I can't go back to that.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm

They will implement mini nodegraphs per layer in the stack. Whatever that may be. Nah, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Horrible UI too.

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:19 am

Looks somewhat interesting per idea of having a fast opengl based engine (another ”Flame killer upcoming”) but I agree, UI is pretty hideous. I hope someone resurrects this thread when beta becomes available.

As I understand it, at least some people behind it are the former Natron engineers:
https://www.inria.fr/en/left-angle-soft ... ion-design

Presentation in french:
I do stuff.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 am

My previous post was short and might have come across as being snappy, but I welcome any new and fresh addition to the compositing applications already out there. I also curate a little list over at WSL dealing with all things nodal covering many domains and not just images. Heck, I don't mind replacing Fusion with something that does it better. Not having to deal with BMD's silent treatment sounds like a nice outlook.

I watched the video you shared and that's why I responded in here. I don't think they're going to bring a lot of new concepts to comp. Hopefully we can see for ourselves soon.

Return to Fusion