Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How do you recreate a dust impact/wave

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

joemart

How do you recreate a dust impact/wave

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:04 pm

I'd like to recreate the dust that emanates from an impact. I'm sure some sort of physics would have to be involved to recreate this and particles, but I'm not sure where to start. How would I go about in recreating this or am I better off finding pre-recorded footage and composite it in?

Kel Philm

Re: How do you recreate a dust impact/wave

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 am

Fastest way to a decent result would be to use a pre existing clip or clips combined if any suitable ones are available. Can be a very time consuming job to simulate and usually need a fluid simulator to get decent results, often not easy to learn. But if you want to go down that path I think Indie Houdini would be the best place to start.

joemart

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Kel Philm wrote:Fastest way to a decent result would be to use a pre existing clip or clips combined if any suitable ones are available. Can be a very time consuming job to simulate and usually need a fluid simulator to get decent results, often not easy to learn. But if you want to go down that path I think Indie Houdini would be the best place to start.

What about using the particles effect installed within Fusion?

Jeff Ha

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 2:08 pm

particles in Fusion are a joke. CMIVFX did some training on it years ago but wasn't believable. Get clips from ProductionCrate or other sites, or pay someone to do it Houdini/3DSMax.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 3:30 pm

I wouldn't say they are a joke. There have been some really impressive results with them over the years.
I believe some of the volumetric stuff in these breakdowns were done with Fusion. Hardly anything to sneeze at.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=5196
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

joemart

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I wouldn't say they are a joke. There have been some really impressive results with them over the years.
I believe some of the volumetric stuff in these breakdowns were done with Fusion. Hardly anything to sneeze at.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... php?t=5196

I'm not sure where to even start to create something that simulates dust impact and even better if it looks organic. If there's a tutorial that you can recommend, I'm all ears.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 pm

I'll have to think about tutorials on this subject. You could also try what Jeff suggests and find some clips that do what you want and just use those.

You can for example check out the clips at Action VFX - they have all sorts of dust stuff.
I've done some tutorials for them and I'm in their affiliate program, so I'm not unbiased, but they have cool stuff for affordable prices

https://www.actionvfx.com/collections/d ... owmakersdr
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kel Philm

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:17 am

joemart wrote:
Kel Philm wrote:Fastest way to a decent result would be to use a pre existing clip or clips combined if any suitable ones are available. Can be a very time consuming job to simulate and usually need a fluid simulator to get decent results, often not easy to learn. But if you want to go down that path I think Indie Houdini would be the best place to start.

What about using the particles effect installed within Fusion?

These can be used for slow moving things like fog etc .. but I always feel for fast moving dust looks terrible, it lacks the vortices and natural internal movement of real fluids. Maybe ok for super fast moving things like jet exhausts as well as the internal motion is pretty much undetectable. I also use the Action VFX elements quite a bit, they are pretty solid and usually very good quality (and cheap!).

Return to Fusion