Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Help with tracking an object

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

dan the man

Help with tracking an object

PostWed May 25, 2022 12:15 am

Hey, I'm new to davinci and I am trying to track an object in my video so I can make the camera follow said object. I am transferring from Hitfilm if anyone is familiar with that program, and in hitfilm when tracking, you have the option to track one frame ahead, and manually adjust the tracker if it has lost the object. You can move the tracking window back onto the object and then continue going frame by frame correcting if necessary. I found this a super helpful feature for tracking difficult objects, as in certain sections I could just manually track the object myself until it could pick it back up again, However in Davinci I can get the frame by frame tracking with the planar tracker, but if it loses the object I can't figure out how to make it find the object again and the regular tracker only has track from marker or track to end, and I can't find a way to track frame by frame with it. Can anyone help me out?

UserNoah

Re: Help with tracking an object

PostWed May 25, 2022 6:20 am

In Reactor you can find Tracker Plus. It’s the normal tracker but it features a frame by frame button.
For the Planar tracker you can only adjust the Search area and hope it works correctly.

GalinMcMahon

Re: Help with tracking an object

PostWed May 25, 2022 5:44 pm

I would start at the last frame. Track backwards to where the issue is happening. Then I'd keep the last and first good keyframes and delete any between them. It'll interpolate. You might need to manually track some of those deleted keyframes if the camera moved non-linearly. Or you can track something else and then offset those keyframes to make them match the good keyframes.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Return to Fusion