Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Having issues speeding up a clip in Fusion, then freezing it

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dave Andrade

Having issues speeding up a clip in Fusion, then freezing it

PostSun May 29, 2022 3:48 am

Ok, let me explain this as best I can.

I downloaded some footage of an explosion. The problem I am running into is that when I try to time it up with the footage I am compositing over, it's too "slow".

What I mean by slow is that the explosion is actually longer than the other footage. Now, I have chopped the first half in the media file node by using the trim options so the explosion just "appears". Then at the last frame, (the last one I want to use, that is), I choose the option to hold and indicate how many frames that is. (so that it doesn't just disappear. This way the frame I chose to freeze stays...frozen. Ok, all is well.

But I was thinking, why not just show the whole explosion clip, beginning to end, in the same amount of frames, and hold the last frame? So, yes, it would be quicker. Fine with me. Show it beginning to end. No can do. For a test, I adjusted the speed to 2, and it trimmed the end of the clip. This first sounds like common sense, but the last frame in the Fusion comp is NOT the last frame of the explosion footage. Secondly, it disregard the "hold" I had on the media node.

I am sure I am just overthinking this. But how do I speed up a clip?? And if it is the timespeed node, why does it ignore the media node?

mytrees

Re: Having issues speeding up a clip in Fusion, then freezin

PostSun May 29, 2022 9:24 am

I think you could create a Compound Clip or Fusion Clip, this will reset the frame-timing of the clip (starts with 0, ends with 0 + amount of frames)

Sam Steti

PostSun May 29, 2022 10:26 am

Hey,

I would personally do all this work in Fusion, specifically with a TimeMachine node...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

birdseye

PostSun May 29, 2022 11:52 am

That should be very simple to achieve with a TimeStretcher node. If you want to use the whole explosion clip, connect a TimeStretcher node to the explosion, move the playhead to the first frame of the media. Enter the first frame number of the explosion in the TimeStretcher node. Move the playhead to the frame that you want the explosion to end and enter the last frame number of the explosion clip in TimeStretcher node. There should only be two keyframes in the TimeStretcher node at the first frame of the media and the last..
You could also ramp up the speed of the explosion gradually by using more intermediate keyframes in the TimeStretcher node and use the spline editor to play about with the speed but as long as the first frame number/last frame number of the explosion clip are at the beginning and end of your media clip that's where the explosion will begin and end.
If the playback of the explosion is noticeably uneven you could try using optical flow but there would be a high likelihood of artifacts in that sort of action.

What Resolve would do to the clip would be for you to resolve.

Jacob Danell

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:27 am

You can download the fuse Retimer from reactor. It's a dynamic retimer tool so simply increese the speed and then drop it to 0 and it will stop at that frame.

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

Sam Steti

PostTue May 31, 2022 4:07 pm

I'm always surprised by the lack of knowledge of the TimeMachine node, which does so much more than any TimeStretcher, Retimer etc etc...
There are sooooo many tools inside that you can do almost anything needed. Guys you should try ;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion