Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Combine channels

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Timber

Combine channels

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 pm

Assuming that I have three separate threads each representing a single color channel, R, G, B, what node do I use to combine them back into a single image with the channels properly assigned? So that I can do separate Transform operations on single channels, for example. Making the three streams with three Channel Boolean nodes is trivial, but it doesn't seem to be a path to recombining them. Thanks in advance, I'm presuming the answer is something obvious.

xunile

Re: Combine channels

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:49 am

See if this video helps.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.5| Fusion Studio 18.6.5

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Timber

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:09 am

xunile wrote:See if this video helps.

That IS helpful, actually. Keep the other channels at zero on the Channel Boolean split, then use an Add transfer to replace them in a series of two Channel Booleans after the Transforms. I suspect there may be a more elegant solution scripting Custom Tool, though.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:24 am

It is also possible in almost every tool in Fusion to let them work on seperate channels directly.
Just turn off the channels you don't want to influence and you're good to go. Blur and b/c have these checkboxes on the default tab, other tools have them on the settings tab (can't remember if that's the actual name) but it's the 'other' tab in most tools. No need to split anything. Just daisy chain you transforms.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Timber

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am

Sander de Regt wrote:It is also possible in almost every tool in Fusion to let them work on seperate channels directly.
Just turn off the channels you don't want to influence and you're good to go. Blur and b/c have these checkboxes on the default tab, other tools have them on the settings tab (can't remember if that's the actual name) but it's the 'other' tab in most tools. No need to split anything. Just daisy chain you transforms.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that, but I'm not sure there are any more or less pixels processed whether arranged parallel or serial? I'm going to see how efficient I can make it.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:37 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:(can't remember if that's the actual name)

It's the Common control page, but it's labeled as Settings.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion