Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

F18 beta5 Not reading Alpha in ProRes444

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

steve oakley

F18 beta5 Not reading Alpha in ProRes444

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 12:46 am

F18 b5
OS 12.5

opened up older project from a couple years ago to make a few small changes. prev render had alpha ch

render to new mov file with ProRes 444

Bring back new render file into F18 and into main comp and mov shows no alpha. old renders on intel did have alpha. when I rendered I did check there was alpha and saw correct B&W image before render. So no reason to think alpha was no in file.

So either F is not writing some bit in the file correctly, or its. not reading it.

QT player says there is an alpha. Opened file in Compressor, change view to Checker board and indeed there is a good alpha, so F is failing to read alpha in file sometimes but not all the time.

re-rendering mov out of compressor with 4444 preset and load into F, same result F not reading alpha ch.

yet F18 does read some ProRes alphas with no rhyme or reason why its working or not. if you want the file I can provide link to it.

What is ProResHW ? is that M1 hardware encoder ? I tried both with same results, identical file sizes.

UPDATE 1: rendered out ARGB16 uncompressed file. F18 read the alpha but its a 13gb file vs 134mb !!!!! 10X size difference. I'm using this bit X 3 vers which theoretically saves me 12 min of render time but I suspect the file I/O will even that out :(

S
Last edited by steve oakley on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Sam Steti

Re: F18 beta5 Not reading Alpha CH in ProRes444

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 am

Ah... If you knew the pain of M1 users compositors... :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=156875
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

steve oakley

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Ah... If you knew the pain of M1 users compositors... :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=156875

Thanks. unbelievable this isn't fixed. I haven't been using stand alone until opening this project up because its just too big to try in resolve/F. maybe I can load up the little comps and render them out in R/F. FWIW the main comp with a big 3D model was brutally slow on even i9 iMac/Vega48. Now that I have a machine that works fluidly with it, its got some really basic fails; Maybe I'll try adding the small elements into the main comp instead, probably won't slow it down in an appreciable way now. or maybe I have to go all 90's and render seperate alpha mov :( :( :(
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Philipp Walz

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 5:57 am

Problem still persists in 18b6. Savers seem to export alpha just fine (tested in in Apple Motion) but no alpha-loader support.

Yeah, the pain for M1 users is big. And it breaks Fusion for me!
Pete

steve oakley

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm

Philipp Walz wrote:Problem still persists in 18b6. Savers seem to export alpha just fine (tested in in Apple Motion) but no alpha-loader support.

Yeah, the pain for M1 users is big. And it breaks Fusion for me!

I installed OS 12.5beta5 just released. I have alpha if I enable the invert alpha button :/ actually invert alpha is doing something weirder. it appears to be summing the RGB channels to a B&W image and feeding it into the alpha.

all another note here : I'm using the MakeLocal ver of the loader that I helped develop. not sure if this is a problem as all it really does ( with lots of error check code ) copy remote files into the local project folder so all your assets are in one place where they can;'t go offline.

also FWIW DNxHDR 444 12bit does work for alpha in / out. much better than uncompressed for size.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Sam Steti

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 am

Hey, thx for your input...

However :

- no, inverting alpha is not what you want to do in our case. Of course, any of us had tried before as you can imagine, and even with previous OSes btw ;
- I also sometimes use "make local" but there's no direct connection with the issue imho ;
- Of course, I've thought at least a few minutes about transcoding stuff to DNx ... While this may be ok for a couple of files in specific projects, it's not an option at all where you're given between 70 and 100 Go of ProRes 4444 files (with correct alpha checked outside Fusion standalone... In Resolve for example).

Alternatively, maybe I was deaf & blind for a moment but I didn't realize up to now that everything works fine with the Intel code, that's to say by selecting the app > cmd + i > ticking "open with Rosetta"

I reported it here yesterday : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=156875&start=50#

PatrickFaith

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 pm

Sam Steti wrote:...
Alternatively, maybe I was deaf & blind for a moment but I didn't realize up to now that everything works fine with the Intel code, that's to say by selecting the app > cmd + i > ticking "open with Rosetta"

What I have to do is use your trick depending on what I am doing, for heavy gpu processin I need to be in m1 native, and for quick legacy checks open with Rosetta selected. It's a major hassle setting and resetting the resetta option but atleast it's a workable option.

steve oakley

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 10:28 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Hey, thx for your input...

good to hear that. it was on my to try list. it would work ok for the little element files I rendered out as they are only a few minutes each. main comp has somewhat large 3D model.

whats weird is I had to change settings on a bunch of 3d nodes to get them to render right, or visibly. mostly just a matter of messing with visible to lighting, takes lights. rendered ok on intel last time :?
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Sam Steti

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:00 am

Yeah, anyway that's just a workaround, nothing ideal for sure... But at least, I can start new projects I'm awaited for :(

Return to Fusion